Space Cadets and Starship Troopers: The Eagle Has Landed
Regular readers of Tor’s newsletter and our blog know that Tor has recently published an all-new biography of Robert A. Heinlein. Written with the blessing of Heinlein’s late widow, Virginia, the work was many years in the making and contains a wealth of interesting information, including never-before-published excerpts from Heinlein’s correspondence. Even if you thought you knew everything there was to know about the man, I can promise you there are surprises to be found within these pages.
So, in celebration of the man and his works, we asked a number of sf writers to tell us which Heinlein novel is their favorite, and why. We were lucky enough to get a host of great authors, including:
Adding to the Heinlein festivities was a thoughtful and wide-ranging discussion over at Tor.com in the Tor.com Heinlein Blog Symposium.
Many thanks to the authors for their contributions, and thanks to all of the readers who have jumped into the discussion. We’re glad Heinlein’s works have made such an impression on so many of you, too, and to hear about your favorites. I’m going to get all commercial and point out that a number of the Heinlein novels you’ve all been discussing are currently available from Tor: Glory Road, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Space Cadet, and Time for the Stars can all be picked up directly from our website or from any number of fine retailers with discerning taste and a first-rate collection of sf.
Also available online and in excellent bookstores everywhere is Robert A. Heinlein: In Dialogue with His Century: Volume 1 (1907-1948): Learning Curve (978-0-7653-1960-9 / $29.99).
From the Tor/Forge October newsletter. Sign up to receive our newsletter via email.
More from our October newsletter:
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
- Starred Review: Sea Change by S. M. Wheeler
- Starred Review: Wisp of a Thing by Alex Bledsoe
- New Releases: 6/18/2013
- Why Read Dystopian Novels?
- The Writer, Not the Song
- Postultimate Postulations
- The Week in Review
- Book Trailer: Solstice by P. J. Hoover
- Starred Review: Midnight by Kevin Egan
- Starred Review: On the Razor’s Edge by Michael Flynn
- "Necessary Evil is great ending to excellent and innovative series." @upcoming4me on @ITregillis' NECESSARY EVIL: bit.ly/13QCze0 1 hour ago
- RT @mybookishways: Meet author @SMWWrites and enter to win a copy of SEA CHANGE! bit.ly/17jwMT3 3 hours ago
- "Engaging historical fantasy, great imagination!" @bibliotropic on QUINTESSENCE by David Walton: bit.ly/11vwSPA 5 hours ago
- "Grandiose and intriguing adventure" @CyanideRush reviews L.E. Modesitt Jr.'s ANTIAGON FIRE over on @MANIA bit.ly/11vxAwg 6 hours ago
- Happy Release Day! Here’s what went on sale today: bit.ly/15cIKqR 7 hours ago
Summer Grab Bag Sweepstakes
- Celebromancy (Excerpt)
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Rewatch: “The Forsaken”
- Batman: The Animated Series Rewatch: “House and Garden” & “The Terrible Trio”
- The Wheel of Time Re-read: A Memory of Light, Part 18
- Short Fiction Spotlight: Scott Lynch Special
- MacKids Events at ALA 2013
- Sleeps With Monsters: Anticipating the Second Half of 2013
- The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman: A Spoiler Review
- The Stranger
- Morning Roundup: Threepio Calculates the Approximate Odds of Successfully Sending a Telegram in India in August
- Meet Maya Banks and Team H&H in NYC Tomorrow!
- June 2013 Bloggers’s Recommendations: Psy-Changelings, Avengers, Wedding Photographers, and More!
- Holding Out Through the Hiatus: Speculation on Lost Girl Season 4
- First Look: Rebecca Zanetti’s Twisted (June 20, 2013)
- Sean Bean Meets His Waterloo in Sharpe’s Waterloo
- No Prinny in Sight!: Not-Your-Usual-Historicals Shopping List For June 2013
- Exclusive Cover Reveal: Jade Lee’s What the Groom Wants!
- London’s Last True Scoundrel: New Excerpt
- The White Queen: Strong Women, War, and Romance
- True Blood Season 6, Episode 1 Recap: Like an Evil, Naked Superman
- A Quick Hit and Run from CrimeFest 2013
- Longmire Episode 2.04: “The Road to Hell”
- Fresh Meat: Death of a Dyer by Eleanor Kuhns
- Buckles the Clown is Here for the Laughs...Kind Of
- Inspector Lewis: “Down Among the Fearful,” Episode 06.01
- Fresh Meat: The Summer of Dead Toys by Antonio Hill
- Fresh Meat: Crime of Privilege by Walter Walker
- Killer Stiletto Heels Cost $100k (in Bail)
- Fresh Meat: Her Last Breath by Linda Castillo
- Fresh Meat: The 9th Girl by Tami Hoag