Welcome to the week in review! Every Friday, we comb through the links and images we found and shared this week, and pull the very best for this post. Consider it concentrated genre goodness from all around the web.
- The Lands of Ice and Fire publishes next week, and as a teaser, they’ve released some beautiful, official maps from Martin’s Song of Ice and Fire series.
- October’s almost over, which means January’s almost here. For those Wheel of Time fans having trouble waiting for the January 8 publication of A Memory of Light, Tor.com has you covered: you can now listen to the audio version of Chapter Two, “The Choice of an Ajah.”
- Over on Heroes and Heartbreakers, author Suzanne Johnson posted “Chenoire,” an original story, set in the same world as her Sentinels of New Orleans series. Shapeshifting alligators and mer-men, oh my!
- Like ghosts, ghouls, and everything creepy? It’s Ghost Week at Tor.com!
- Great news from NPR: the Facebook generation is reading. Not only that, but they’re using libraries in huge numbers!
- Tor.com’s Emily Asher-Perrin has a really interesting article about the illusion of privacy on the internet.
- Have you seen the award-winning short film Afghan? Inspired by a real life racist act post-9/11, it tells the story of a victim of a hate crime forced to look for humor in a terrible situation. Well worth the time.
And, just to make Friday that much sweeter, here’s a list of sweepstakes and sales we have going on!
- Goodreads First Reads: Bard’s Oath by Joanne Bertin (Ends 10/29)
- The ebook of Hell on Earth, by David L. Porter with Lee Reeder, is on sale for $2.99 (Ends 10/29)
- Ghost Collection Sweepstakes (Ends 10/31)
- The ebook of A Twisted Ladder, by Rhodi Hawk, is on sale for $2.99 (Ends 11/5)
- The ebook of People of the Wolf, by Kathleen O’Neal Gear and W. Michael Gear, is on sale for $2.99 (Ends 11/5)
- Goodreads First Reads: The Shadow Rising by Robert Jordan (Ends 11/8)
- Goodreads First Reads: Forge of Darkness by Steven Erikson (Ends 11/18)
Tor Books is heading to San Diego Comic-Con!
We hope to see many of you there. Stop by Booth #2707 to say hi or to participate in one of our many events and signings.
But for those of you who couldn’t make it out to California, we wanted to offer you the chance to grab some of the same amazing swag and books that we’re promoting at #SDCC. To enter for the chance to win one of these five prize bundles, leave a comment on this post telling us one fabulous thing that you’ll be doing this week while you are #NotAtComicCon. Whether you’re fighting a clone army, rescuing damsels in distress (or princelings in peril), zipping across galaxies at light speed, or just conquering your laundry pile, we hope that you have a great week.
Here’s a look at the prize:
And here’s a list of what’s included in each prize bundle:
- Wheel of Time backpack
- Signed copy of Redshirts by John Scalzi
- Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake
- The Battle of Blood and Ink written by Jared Axelrod and illustrated by Steve Walker
- Dark Companion by Marta Acosta
- Existence by David Brin
- Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card
- The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan
- The Eye of the World: Graphic Novel: Volume 2 Based on the novel by Robert Jordan, written by Chuck Dixon, illustrated by Andie Tong
- Eyes to See by Joseph Nassise
- Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson
- Girl Genius Omnibus Volume 1 by Phil Foglio and Kaja Foglio
- Halo: Cryptum by Greg Bear
- Halo: Glasslands by Karen Traviss
- Inside Straight edited by George R.R. Martin
- Johnny Hiro: Half Asian, All Hero written and illustrated by Fred Chao
- Laddertop: Volume 1 written by Orson Scott Card and Emily Janice Card Art by Honoel A. Ibardolaza
- Off Armageddon Reef by David Weber
- The Omen Machine by Terry Goodkind
- Passion Play by Beth Bernobich
- Personal Demons by Lisa Desrochers
- The Way of the Kings by Brandon Sanderson
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. You must be 18 or older and a legal resident of the 50 United States or D.C. to enter. Promotion begins July 12, 2012 at 10:00 a.m. ET. and ends July 16, 2012, 12:00 p.m. ET. Void in Puerto Rico and wherever prohibited by law. Please see full details and official rules go here. Sponsor: Tom Doherty Associates, LLC.
Enter for a chance to win a copy on Goodreads!
About Fort Freak: In 1946, an alien virus that rewrites human DNA was accidentally unleashed in the skies over New York City. It killed ninety percent of those it infected. Nine percent survived, mutated into tragically deformed creatures. And one percent gained superpowers. The Wild Cards shared-universe series, created and edited byNew York Times #1 bestseller George R. R. Martin (called “the American Tolkien” by Time), is the tale of the history of the world since then—and of the heroes among the one percent.Now, in the latest Wild Cards mosaic novel, we get to know the hardbitten world of Manhattan’s Fifth Precinct—or “Fort Freak,” as cops and malefactors alike call the cop-shop where every other desk sergeant, detective, and patrol officer is more than human.
Featuring original work by writers such as Cherie Priest, author of the bestselling Boneshaker; Paul Cornell, Hugo–nominated comic book and Doctor Who writer; David Anthony Durham, winner of 2009’s John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer; and many others, Fort Freak is one of the strongest offerings yet in the ongoing Wild Cards project.
(Ends August 15)
- Dry Ice by Bill Evans and Marianna Jameson (Ends 7/15)
- Summer Reading Sweepstakes (Ends 7/19)
- Anthology Prize Pack Sweepstakes – includes Wild Cards books, Songs of the Dying Earth, and Warriors (Ends 7/19)
- The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson (Ends 7/30)
- Personal Demons by Lisa Desrochers (Ends 7/30)
- A Dog’s Purpose Sweepstakes (Ends 7/31)
- Awakenings by Edward Lazellari (Ends 8/4)
- The Knowledge of Good & Evil by Glenn Kleier (Ends 8/5)
- First Thrills edited by Lee Child (Ends 8/6)
- Emory’s Gift by W. Bruce Cameron (Ends 8/12)
- Cowboys & Aliens by Joan D. Vinge (Ends 8/12)
- The Magic of Recluce by L.E. Modesitt, Jr. (Ends 8/15)
- Lady Lazarus by Michele Lang (Ends 8/15)
- In the Darkest Night by Patti O’Shea (Ends 8/15)
- The Half-Made World by Felix Gilman (Ends 8/15)
Sign up for the Tor/Forge Newsletter for a chance to win the following prize pack of mass-market books from Tor. They may not be your traditional beach reads, but we know that you’ll enjoy them all the same.
About our newsletter: every issue of Tor’s monthly email newsletter features original writing by, and interviews with, Tor authors and editors about upcoming new titles from all Tor and Forge imprints. In addition, we occasionally send out “special edition” newsletters to highlight particularly exciting new projects, programs, or events.
If you’re already a newsletter subscriber, you can enter too. We do not automatically enter subscribers into sweepstakes. We promise we won’t send you duplicate copies of the newsletter if you sign up for the newsletter more than once.
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. You must be 18 or older and a legal resident of the 50 United States or D.C. to enter. Promotion begins June 13, 2011 at 12 a.m. ET. and ends July 19, 2011, 11:59 p.m. ET. Void in Puerto Rico and wherever prohibited by law. For Official Rules and to enter, go to tor-forge.com/tor/promo/summerreading2011. Sponsor: Tom Doherty Associates, LLC.
In 1946, an alien virus that rewrites human DNA was accidentally unleashed in the skies over New York City. It killed ninety percent of those it infected. Nine percent survived to mutate into tragically deformed creatures. And one percent gained superpowers. The Wild Cards shared-universe series, created and edited since 1987 by New York Times #1 bestseller George R. R. Martin (“The American Tolkien”—Time magazine) along with Melinda Snodgrass, is the tale of the history of the world since then—and of the heroes among the one percent.
For a limited time, you can enter on Goodreads for the chance to win these anthologies of fiction from The Wild Cards universe.
- Kitty’s Greates Hits by Carrie Vaughn (Ends 6/10)
- Original Sin by Lisa Desrochers (Ends 6/10)
- Abyss by David Hagberg (Ends 6/10)
- Dry Ice by Bill Evans and Marianna Jameson(Ends 6/13)
- Inside Straight edited by George R. R. Martin (6/13)
- Busted Flush edited by George R. R. Martin
- Suicide Kings edited by George R. R. Martin (6/13)
- Warriors 1 edited by George R. R. Martin and Gardner Dozois (6/13)
- Warriors 2 edited by George R. R. Martin and Gardner Dozois (6/13)
- Songs of the Dying Earth edited by George R. R. Martin and Gardner Dozois (6/13)
- Bye Bye, Baby by Max Allan Collins (Ends 6/13)
- Awakenings by Edward Lazellari (Ends 7/13)