Writing a book—sort of—and Besmirching a great writer
I like the whole idea of mash-ups. The first time I heard the Grey Album by Danger Mouse (Jay Z’s Black Album mashed up with the Beatles‘ White Album), I thought: genius. You hear the whole thing in a completely different way, a new way that was unintended at its inception.
After Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, I wondered what other books would be fun to zombie up. My first thought was something by Jack Kerouac. I loved reading his stuff in college. Fifty pages in and I was ready to drop out and hitchhike to the West Coast. And then I found out about copyright laws, and the rules of copyright infringement. What would happen to me would be what happened to Danger Mouse. So that was out of the question.
My daughter suggested Charles Dickens, maybe changing Great Expectations into “Grave Expectations”. Charles Dickens had been dead a good long time and legally speaking, you can trammel his good name completely unfettered… But I am not a Dickens fan, having been taught to enjoy him in high school. So Dickens was out.
The first draft of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and the Undead was a little different from the finished product. For example, in a tip-of-the-hat to the kind of fun Twain might have had at the expense of political correctness, I changed Injun Joe to Native American Joe, and Becky Thatcher became a Korean orphan whom the Thatchers picked up when they were Christian missionaries overseas – Becky was just her American name. However, early readers found these little jokes a little off-putting, so I got rid of them them. There are still some little jokes here and there, but no one’s caught them yet.
Tom Sawyer and the Undead is almost completely a faithful chapter-by-chapter retelling of the book, with the exception of the chapter where a single powerful zombie overpowers a guard and invades the one-room schoolhouse. In the original, the nostalgia factor is huge, but nothing really happens, so just like in the home improvement shows on television, I took it down to the studs and re-did the electrical. When Becky whispers to Tom “How could you be so noble!” at the end of the chapter, it’s because he has just saved her from being torn limb from limb by an angry Zum, not because, as in the original, she spilled some ink on a primer and Tom graciously took a whipping for her.
The ending of my version reeks of a sequel, which doesn’t happen in the original. I did that on purpose. Someone might want one.
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and the Undead by Mark Twain and Don Borchert will be available August 3, 2010.
From the Tor/Forge August newsletter. Sign up to receive our newsletter via email.
More from our August newsletter:
- Dead Space: Martyr by Brian Evenson
- Space Cadets and Starship Troopers: The Voyage Continues by Stacy Hague-Hill, Your Captain for this Journey
- Odd historical things I learned while writing Shades of Milk and Honey by Mary Robinette Kowal
- An Editor’s Dirty Little Secret
- On a Bus to New York
- Sister, Healer, Soldier, Spy
- Tor/Forge Blog is Moving to a New Domain
- The Week in Review
- Not at New York Comic-Con Sweepstakes
- Starred Review: Ask Not by Max Allan Collins
- New Releases: 10/8/2013
- Goodreads Sweepstakes: Watcher of the Dark by Joseph Nasisse
- Tor Books Announces Programming for New York Comic-Con 2013
- Read "The Key to the Coward's Spell", an Eddie LaCrosse story by @AlexBledsoe: bit.ly/2bH0sO5 https://t.co/HH35vy5zjD 9 hours ago
- Need more of George RR Martin’s #WildCards in your life? Join @tordotcom for an official reread!… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 13 hours ago
- RT @bnappleton: The final chapter of @veschwab Shades of Magic series is finally here. Who else plans to pick up a copy this week? 🙋 #vesc… 14 hours ago
- CROSSROADS OF CANOPY author @ThoraiyaDyer shares her 5 favorite Australian bush fruits: bit.ly/2kW5HNP https://t.co/tecxrjVjx9 16 hours ago
- Congratulations to the 2016 #NebulaAward nominees! bit.ly/2kUYxJJ https://t.co/kZ0isuED6q 19 hours ago
- Congratulations to Our 2016 Nebula Award Nominees!
- Close Encounters of the Fifth Kind: Supergirl, “Mr. and Mrs. Mxyzptlk”
- Revealing The Cocktail Guide to the Galaxy
- Star Trek The Original Series Rewatch: “The Time Trap”
- Margaret Atwood’s Angel Catbird Sweepstakes!
- The Wheel of Time Reread Redux: The Fires of Heaven, Part 1
- Check Out the First Cast Photo from the Han Solo Film
- Rereading Frank Herbert’s Dune: Dune, Part Thirteen
- Sleeps With Monsters: Queens of Ice and Fire