Space Cadets and Starship Troopers: The Eagle Has Landed
Regular readers of Tor’s newsletter and our blog know that Tor has recently published an all-new biography of Robert A. Heinlein. Written with the blessing of Heinlein’s late widow, Virginia, the work was many years in the making and contains a wealth of interesting information, including never-before-published excerpts from Heinlein’s correspondence. Even if you thought you knew everything there was to know about the man, I can promise you there are surprises to be found within these pages.
So, in celebration of the man and his works, we asked a number of sf writers to tell us which Heinlein novel is their favorite, and why. We were lucky enough to get a host of great authors, including:
Adding to the Heinlein festivities was a thoughtful and wide-ranging discussion over at Tor.com in the Tor.com Heinlein Blog Symposium.
Many thanks to the authors for their contributions, and thanks to all of the readers who have jumped into the discussion. We’re glad Heinlein’s works have made such an impression on so many of you, too, and to hear about your favorites. I’m going to get all commercial and point out that a number of the Heinlein novels you’ve all been discussing are currently available from Tor: Glory Road, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Space Cadet, and Time for the Stars can all be picked up directly from our website or from any number of fine retailers with discerning taste and a first-rate collection of sf.
Also available online and in excellent bookstores everywhere is Robert A. Heinlein: In Dialogue with His Century: Volume 1 (1907-1948): Learning Curve (978-0-7653-1960-9 / $29.99).
From the Tor/Forge October newsletter. Sign up to receive our newsletter via email.
More from our October newsletter:
- An Editor’s Dirty Little Secret
- On a Bus to New York
- Sister, Healer, Soldier, Spy
- Tor/Forge Blog is Moving to a New Domain
- The Week in Review
- Not at New York Comic-Con Sweepstakes
- Starred Review: Ask Not by Max Allan Collins
- New Releases: 10/8/2013
- Goodreads Sweepstakes: Watcher of the Dark by Joseph Nasisse
- Tor Books Announces Programming for New York Comic-Con 2013
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- Janelle Monáe Finally Gets the Interstellar Portraits She Deserves
- Holy Rewatch Batman! “The Ogg and I” / “How to Hatch a Dinosaur”
- Malevolent Lurkers: Revealing the Cover for Victor LaValle’s The Changeling
- Remembering William Peter Blatty, 1928-2017
- Ghost Town: Dusk or Dark or Dawn or Day by Seanan McGuire
- High-Tech Wizardry: C> The Shadow Man
- B. Catling Prize Pack Sweepstakes!
- The Defenders Get Their Own Photo Shoot!
- Malazan Reread of the Fallen: Assail, Chapter Fourteen (Part One)
- Winter Tide: Chapter 5