Steampunk Shopping Guide
Whether you’re looking for a last minute gift for someone on your list or an excuse to spend a little money on yourself this December, we wanted to offer this round-up of some awesome things that will make your little clockwork hearts flutter, steampunk fans.
“The battles and intrigue are entertaining, but the real draw is Priest’s latest no-nonsense heroine, who comes equipped with a full measure of sharp judgment and brutal competence as well as a nurse’s kind (but not saintly) heart.” – Pulishers Weekly
Goggles!–the quintessential steampunk accessory for any aeronaut, coal miner, mad scientist, or brakeman on your list. Now while goggles may seem like an obvious choice, be mindful that they come in many different shapes and sizes. It’s the options will make this accessory pop!
These goggles and others like it are available at The PH Factor Emporium.
The American Frontier. Wild. Undiscovered. Deadly. Creedmore is a gunslinger and more than human. His demonic masters have sent him out to the edge of the civilized world, but the agents of the Line and the giant sentient engines that command them are closing in. You’ve never imagined the West like this.
“Vivid and accurate prose, a gripping, imaginative story, a terrifically inventive setting, a hard-bitten, indestructible hero, and an intelligent, fully adult heroine—we haven’t had a science-fiction novel like this for a long time.” — Ursula K. Le Guin, National Book Award—winning author of The Farthest Shore and The Left Hand of Darkness.
Ray Guns and Pistols!
Whether you’re a dueling gentleman or a rough-and-tumble gunslinger, a glammed up prop weapon certainly adds an air of danger to anyones’ costume ensemble. If you’re shopping for a Sir with more refined tastes, you might also look into a sword cane as an alternative.
This prop and other steampunk accessories are available on Etsy through the Old Junkyard Boutique Etsy store.
The Newburry & Hobbes Investigations by George Mann
Welcome to the bizarre and dangerous world of Victorian London, a city teetering on the edge of revolution. Join the intrepid sleuths Sir Maurice Newbury and Miss Veronica Hobbes in the high-action steampunk mysteries of The Affinity Bridge and The Osiris Ritual.
“Mann is at the forefront of the new generation of UK movers and shakers.Tremendous fun. Mann writes great chase scenes! [The Affinity Bridge] marks George Mann as a writer of enormous promise.”— SFRevu
Whether it’s an evening out to the theater, an afternoon tea with Colonel Pickering, or a stroll on the promenade of a luxury steam liner, one could be looking quite dapper with a tricked-out chapeau on their head.
This hat and others in many different styles are available on Etsy from House of Nines Designs.
Recently returned from war, young Edward Anton Bell-Fairfax is grateful to be taken under the wing of the Gentleman’s Speculative Society. Through his intensive training Edward Anton Bell-Fairfax, unwanted and lonely boy, becomes Edward Anton Bell-Fairfax, Victorian super-assassin fleeing across the Turkish countryside in steam-powered coaches and honing his fighting skills against clockwork opponents.
“Baker builds a fantastic alternate Europe with a deft historical touch and spins an excellent spy story around it. Not Less Than Gods is a satisfying addition to the annals of the Company that is also an engaging stand-alone novel.” — Regina Schroeder from Booklist.
For a gift that’s a little out of the box, you might consider picking up a bunch of odds and ends for the makers and tinkers on your list. Those of us who craft know just how expensive supplies can get. So give the gift of imagination by enabling our crafting addictions.
And remember, one man’s junk is another man’s treasure. Think beyond the hobby stores. Scope out antique stores, yard sales, or even your own basement for inexpensive gifts that might be re-purposed to suit the steampunk aesthetic.
Clock parts on sale at Time and Materials.
The Jackelian Series by Stephen Hunt
“A curious part-future blend of aerostats, mechanical computers, psychic powers, self-willed steam-power robots, Elder gods, talking superweapons and more…Harry Potter mugs H.P. Lovecraft and L. Ron Hubbard explains it all.”— Kirkus Reviews
- Explorer’s Corset from Harlots and Angels – Steampunk Corsetry and Haberdashery
- Mens Steampunk Vest from Maritime Arts – Costumes and Historical Clothing
- Victorian Ladies Hat from Mrs. Purdy’s Hats
- Pinstripe Victorian Mourning Bustle from Boudoir Noir – Victorian Bustles, Costumes, and Vintage Curiosities
- Angora Faux Spat Knee Highs from Sock Dreams
- Victorian Inspired Silk Knitted Caplet from Emma Sommerfield – Retro Romantic Knitwear
- Steampunk Leather Gaiters from Mann & Co
- Victorian Gears Necktie from Cybertopix Lab – Ties That Don’t Suck
- Army/Navy Surplus – Uncle Sam’s Army Navy Outfitters
Accessories – Watches, Goggles, Canes, & More!
- Steampunk Cuff (With Storage!) Edmdesigns – The Tiffany’s of Steampunk Jewlery
- Swivel Wrist Watch from Revolt07 – JHA & Marianne’s Handcrafted Watches
- Compass Cuff Links from Little Angels’ Jewelry Shop
- Telescope Walking Stick from Nauticalia
- Mustache Stacking Mug Set from Vinyl Soul
- Glow-in -the-Dark Pocket Watch from Tempus Fugit
- Victorian Themed Stationary from Frenzy Universe.com
- Steampunk key cuff from A Case of Random
- Cathode Tube Bellydancer Belt from Saphoona’s Shop
- Mini Telescope Necklace from De Poppenkraal
- Aviator Money Clip from Aevalilith Jewelry – Steampunk Gothic Wearable Art
- Old Westerner Journal from Rogue Journals
- Typewriter Key Cuff Links from Buster and Boo
- Check out Bella Umbrella’s line of awesome parasols
- The Young Mad Scientist’s First Alphabet Blocks from xlocopa
- Gear and Zeppelin Cookie Cutters from Frenzy Universe.com
- Beetle Ring from 19 Moons
- Steampunk Junk – Vintage Watch, Pocket Watch, and Clock Parts
- Ornamentea – Fine Craft Ingredients and Inspiration
- Sharon’s Antiques: Vintage Fabrics
- Rakumancy – Ceramic Steampunk Charms
- Folkwear Patterns – Sewing Patterns, Ethnic Colothing, and Period costumes
- Steampunk Couture – Steampunk Supplies and Accessories (And check out these niffty metal cogs)
And at this time of year, we wanted to give a little something ourselves. We’ve got a number of giveaways running on Goodreads of many of our Steampunk or Victorian era titles. If you’re a Goodreads member, be sure to stop by and enter. You never know when it will be your lucky day.
- The Half-Made World by Felix Gilman
- Dreadnought by Cherie Priest
- The Affinity Bridge by George Mann
- The Osiris Ritual by George Mann
- The Court of Air by Stephen Hunt
- The Kingdom Beyond the Waves by Stephen Hunt
- Not Less Than Gods by Kage Baker
- Mainspring by Jay Lake
- Second Glass of Absinthe by Michelle Black
So whatever the occasion, happy holidays and good hunting.
~ Laura and Jen
From the December issue of Tor’s Steampunk newsletter. Sign up to receive our newsletter via email.
More from this newsletter issue:
- An Editor’s Dirty Little Secret
- On a Bus to New York
- Sister, Healer, Soldier, Spy
- Tor/Forge Blog is Moving to a New Domain
- The Week in Review
- Not at New York Comic-Con Sweepstakes
- Starred Review: Ask Not by Max Allan Collins
- New Releases: 10/8/2013
- Goodreads Sweepstakes: Watcher of the Dark by Joseph Nasisse
- Tor Books Announces Programming for New York Comic-Con 2013
- The city of Philadelphia has become a monstrous hellscape. Here's a chance to win #NightMagic by @jennablack:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 44 minutes ago
- Faerie in America: An Interview with @AlexBledsoe, Author of #GatherHerRound: huff.to/2o6PeML https://t.co/jBxGPhGk5V 3 hours ago
- RT @tordotcom: .@Scalzi's new space opera THE COLLAPSING EMPIRE was inspired in part by works from Frank Herbert to Sheri S. Tepper https:/… 4 hours ago
- Happy New Release Day! Here’s what went on sale today: bit.ly/2n5DbOS https://t.co/bFpih6DDLR 4 hours ago
- Read "Elephants and Corpses," a story by @KameronHurley about vengeance through body-hopping:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 17 hours ago
- Innsmouth Legacy: “The Litany of Earth”
- Celebrate Winter Tide With Ruthanna Emrys!
- Rereading Frank Herbert’s Dune: Dune, Part Eighteen
- Sleeps With Monsters: Gender Roles and Logan
- Middle-earth: A World on the Edge
- Peter Parker Faces a Tough Choice in the New Trailer for Spider-Man: Homecoming
- Feminist High Plains Drifter …in Space! Announcing Una McCormack’s The Undefeated
- Five Books I Was Thinking Of When I Wrote The Collapsing Empire
- Charlaine Harris’ New Fantasy Book Series Splits the U.S. Six Ways
- Fighting For Utopia: Revisiting Classic ’90s RPG Phantasy Star IV