Into the Home Stretch
By Dom Testa
Writing the fourth volume of a six-book series places you squarely on the turn heading into the home stretch. Your characters are established, the direction is firmly in place, and you just know that the overall series climax is ready to poke its head out. But you’ve also created a subliminal sense of pace that behaves like respiration; your story breathes in, breathes out.
In the case of my Galahad series for young adults—including the fourth book, The Dark Zone, due in stores this May—that pacing has involved looking inward and then outward.
From the beginning I knew that the success of the series depended largely on a healthy balance between internal and external conflict. The setting certainly allows for both, with a starship dispatched to colonize a new world (external), but with a crew consisting entirely of teenagers (internal – a LOT of internal!) In fact, the third volume, The Cassini Code, had pretty much pegged the drama meter to the max. I wanted The Dark Zone to not only turn outward, but to explode in that direction.
I hope you become acquainted with the crew—and the adventures—of Galahad. I’ve deliberately created a six-book series that pulls you forward inch by inch before slamming you back into your chair. With volume four, The Dark Zone, I’ll warn you to keep your arms and hands inside the car at all times.
From the Tor/Forge March newsletter. Sign up to receive our newsletter via email.
More from our March newsletter:
- An Editor’s Dirty Little Secret
- On a Bus to New York
- Sister, Healer, Soldier, Spy
- Tor/Forge Blog is Moving to a New Domain
- The Week in Review
- Not at New York Comic-Con Sweepstakes
- Starred Review: Ask Not by Max Allan Collins
- New Releases: 10/8/2013
- Goodreads Sweepstakes: Watcher of the Dark by Joseph Nasisse
- Tor Books Announces Programming for New York Comic-Con 2013
- Every dog happens for a reason. Read an excerpt from @wbrucecameron's #ADogsPurpose: bit.ly/2f90P6a… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 16 hours ago
- Read "Warm Up," a sci-fi novelette by @veschwab about a man who burns everything he touches: bit.ly/2amh0Kb https://t.co/5AIWypowXN 1 day ago
- What upcoming Winter #SFF releases are you looking forward to most? @BookRiot shares their picks here:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- RT @a_dogs_purpose: Join us in celebrating #NationalMuttDay. Add your dog’s photo to our mosaic and share your furry friend’s story: https:… 1 day ago
- Head over to @GooglePlay to read an interview with #ArcanumUnbounded author @BrandSanderson: bit.ly/2gv09v4 https://t.co/dabQaW1cXP 1 day ago
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.