What’s your Favorite Frederik Pohl novel, James E. Gunn?
My choices probably are pretty standard (although maybe I’ll be surprised by the final list): Gateway and The Space Merchants. Fred’s fiction is always an occasion, for those flashes of insight into the human condition as well as his great storytelling abilities and his skillful prose, I don’t think Fred (and Cyril) ever did better in Fred’s satire mode than his first, but Gateway is Fred at the peak of his mature powers and focusing on a more difficult target, the human heart rather than human folly. By the time Fred was able to write Gateway he had recognized that his skills at skewering human folly were a trap and he had moved on (at least most of the time). I’m looking forward to his new one.
- What’s your Favorite Frederik Pohl novel?
- Jody Lynn Nye: Starburst
- Mike Resnick: The Way the Future Was
- Harry Harrison: The Space Merchants
- Vernor Vinge: Slave Ship
- Joe Haldeman: Wolfbane and The Space Merchants
- Neil Gaiman: The Age of the Pussyfoot
- Cory Doctorow: The Space Merchants
- David Brin: Wolfbane
- Gregory Benford & Elisabeth Malatre: Man Plus
- Larry Niven: The Age of the Pussyfoot
- Ben Bova: The Space Merchants
- Phyllis Eisenstein: The Space Merchants
- An Editor’s Dirty Little Secret
- On a Bus to New York
- Sister, Healer, Soldier, Spy
- Tor/Forge Blog is Moving to a New Domain
- The Week in Review
- Not at New York Comic-Con Sweepstakes
- Starred Review: Ask Not by Max Allan Collins
- New Releases: 10/8/2013
- Goodreads Sweepstakes: Watcher of the Dark by Joseph Nasisse
- Tor Books Announces Programming for New York Comic-Con 2013
- "The state took Aphra away from Innsmouth." Read "The Litany of Earth," a Lovecraftian tale by @R_Emrys:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 3 hours ago
- Meet a deadly voidwitch on the run in this excerpt from @cjwhite's #KillingGravity: bit.ly/2ow3yPQ (via… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 5 hours ago
- Bone Universe author @fran_wilde on messing with your perspective: bit.ly/2owpLx8 (via @fantasycafe) https://t.co/KrVDaIRRbA 7 hours ago
- Don’t know where to start with the work of @doctorow? @tordotcom has you covered: bit.ly/2oEP3Vz https://t.co/BHQ5cqx1jE 11 hours ago
- .@BrianStaveley's #Skullsworn provides an irresistible entry point to a stunning epic. Read @BNSciFi's review:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 14 hours ago
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.