What’s your Favorite Frederik Pohl novel, Phyllis (and Alex) Eisenstein?
It’s truly hard to select among Fred’s books; so many of them are excellent. To be honest, Alex and I both like The Space Merchants best, though it isn’t 100% Fred’s. But for me, runners up to that, would be The Coming of the Quantum Cats and Narabedla Limited—both of which are crazy and innovative and have enormous charm and could not be more different from each other. Fred is wonderfully versatile. And The Age of the Pussyfoot also stands out in my memory, as do Gateway and Man Plus.
And above all of that, Alex and I both think Fred’s short story “The Tunnel Under the World” is one of the best SF short stories ever written. Who could forget Feckle Freezers? And of course when we saw “Groundhog Day” the comparison was automatic, except that Fred’s story has a much more chilling (and gratifying for the SF lover) ending. And then there’s “The Man Who Ate the World,” which gives a whole new dimension to teddy bears. At long lengths and short ones, Fred always delivers the sense of wonder that science fiction lovers read the stuff for.
Phyllis Eisenstein can be found online at x.bl.com/eisenstein
- What’s your Favorite Frederik Pohl novel?
- Jody Lynn Nye: Starburst
- Mike Resnick: The Way the Future Was
- Harry Harrison: The Space Merchants
- Vernor Vinge: Slave Ship
- Joe Haldeman: Wolfbane and The Space Merchants
- Neil Gaiman: The Age of the Pussyfoot
- Cory Doctorow: The Space Merchants
- David Brin: Wolfbane
- James E. Gunn: Gateway and The Space Merchants
- Gregory Benford & Elisabeth Malatre: Man Plus
- Larry Niven: The Age of the Pussyfoot
- Ben Bova: The Space Merchants
- An Editor’s Dirty Little Secret
- On a Bus to New York
- Sister, Healer, Soldier, Spy
- Tor/Forge Blog is Moving to a New Domain
- The Week in Review
- Not at New York Comic-Con Sweepstakes
- Starred Review: Ask Not by Max Allan Collins
- New Releases: 10/8/2013
- Goodreads Sweepstakes: Watcher of the Dark by Joseph Nasisse
- Tor Books Announces Programming for New York Comic-Con 2013
- Read "Everything That Isn't Winter" a story by @magpiekilljoy about a post-apocalyptic tea commune:… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 2 hours ago
- These are the voyages of the starship A.S.F. #WillfulChild. Read an excerpt from Erikson's Wrath of Betty:… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 3 hours ago
- Here's a chance to win @RichardAKnaak's new #Pathfinder Tales novel, #ReapersEye: bit.ly/2d7TEtf https://t.co/7OIXycILRI 4 hours ago
- RT @tordotcom: We want to send you an early copy of @Suzanne_Johnson's BELLE CHASSE, available 11/8 from @torbooks! tor.com/sweepstakes/be…… 5 hours ago
- "#Faller is like the best episode of Lost ever." @BNSciFi on @WillMcIntoshSF's new sci-fi thriller:… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 7 hours ago
- Star Wars Propaganda Sweepstakes!
- New Game of Thrones Season 7 Pics Show the Epic Team-Up We’ve Been Waiting For
- Villains Need Love, Too–So This Artist Has Their Hero Pals Give Them Hugs
- Captain Kirk Has a Man-Cave: Brad Ferguson’s Crisis on Centaurus
- BBC Reveals Sherlock Season 4 Premiere Date
- Comics Artist Continues the Avatar Cycle With Fan Art For “The Legend of Abioye”
- NOT THE BEES! Black Mirror, “Hated in the Nation”
- My Not-So-Excellent Lucid Dreaming Adventure
- Bram Stoker’s Dracula Owes a Debt to Its Lesbian Vampire Novel Predecessor
- The Warren Sweepstakes!