Goodreads First Reads: Ganymede by Cherie Priest
Enter for a chance to win a copy on Goodreads!
About Ganymede: The air pirate Andan Cly is going straight. Well, straighter. Although he’s happy to run alcohol guns wherever the money’s good, he doesn’t think the world needs more sap, or its increasingly ugly side-effects. But becoming legit is easier said than done, and Cly’s first legal gig—a supply run for the Seattle Underground—will be paid for by sap money.
New Orleans is not Cly’s first pick for a shopping run. He loved the Big Easy once, back when he also loved a beautiful mixed-race prostitute named Josephine Early—but that was a decade ago, and he hasn’t looked back since. Jo’s still thinking about him, though, or so he learns when he gets a telegram about a peculiar piloting job. It’s a chance to complete two lucrative jobs at once, one he can’t refuse. He sends his old paramour a note and heads for New Orleans, with no idea of what he’s in for—or what she wants him to fly.
But he won’t be flying. Not exactly. Hidden at the bottom of Lake Pontchartrain lurks an astonishing war machine, an immense submersible called the Ganymede. This prototype could end the war, if only anyone had the faintest idea of how to operate it…. If only they could sneak it past the Southern forces at the mouth of the Mississippi River… If only it hadn’t killed most of the men who’d ever set foot inside it.
But it’s those “if onlys” that will decide whether Cly and his crew will end up in the history books, or at the bottom of the ocean.
(Ends September 9)
- Terry Goodkind Prize Pack Sweepstakes (Ends 9/6)
- Mistborn Prize Pack Sweepstakes (Ends 9/6)
- Vernor Vinge Prize Pack Sweepstakes (Ends 9/6)
- Awakenings by Edward Lazellari (Ends 8/4)
- The Knowledge of Good & Evil by Glenn Kleier (Ends 8/5)
- First Thrills edited by Lee Child (Ends 8/6)
- Emory’s Gift by W. Bruce Cameron (Ends 8/12)
- Cowboys & Aliens by Joan D. Vinge (Ends 8/12)
- Fort Freak edited by George R.R. Martin (Ends 8/15)
- The Magic of Recluce by L.E. Modesitt, Jr. (Ends 8/15)
- Lady Lazarus by Michele Lang (Ends 8/15)
- The Half-Made World by Felix Gilman (Ends 8/15)
- In the Darkest Night by Patti O’Shea (Ends 8/15)
- A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge (Ends 8/22)
- Laddertop Volume 1 by Orson Scott Card and Emily Janice Card, art by Honoel A. Ibardolaza (Ends 8/29)
- All Men of Genius by Lev AC Rosen (Ends 9/9)