Goodreads First Reads: The Haunting of Twentieth Century America
Enter for a chance to win a copy on Goodreads!
About The Haunting of Twentieth-Century America: In this sequel toThe Haunting of America, national bestselling authors Joel Martin and William J. Birnes bring up to the present the story of how paranormal events influenced and sometimes even drove political events. In unearthing the roots of America’s fascination with the ghosts, goblins, and demons that possess our imaginations and nightmares, Martin and Birnes show how the paranormal has driven America’s political, public, and militarypolicies. The authors examine the social history of the United States through the lens of the paranormal and investigate the spiritual events that inspired momentous national decisions: UFOs that frightened the nation’s military into launching nuclear bomber squadrons toward the Soviet Union, out-of-body experiences used to gather sensitive intelligence on other countries, and even spirits summoned to communicate with living politicians.
The Haunting of Twentieth-Century America is a thrilling evidencebased exploration of the often unexpected influences of the paranormal on science, medicine, law, the government, the military, psychology, theology, death and dying, spirituality, and pop culture.
(Ends August 25)
- Terry Goodkind Prize Pack Sweepstakes (Ends 9/6)
- Mistborn Prize Pack Sweepstakes (Ends 9/6)
- Vernor Vinge Prize Pack Sweepstakes (Ends 9/6)
- Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake (Ends 8/21)
- A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge (Ends 8/22)
- Laddertop Volume 1 by Orson Scott Card and Emily Janice Card, art by Honoel A. Ibardolaza (Ends 8/29)
- Ganymede by Cherie Priest (Ends 9/9)
- All Men of Genius by Lev AC Rosen (Ends 9/9)
- The Children of the Sky by Vernor Vinge (Ends 9/15)
- Dear Creature by Jonathan Chase (Ends 9/15)
- Eyes to See by Joseph Nassise (Ends 9/15)
- A Dublin Student Doctor by Patrick Taylor (Ends 9/15)