Goodreads First Reads: An Irish Country Christmas
Enter for a chance to win a copy on Goodreads!
About An Irish Country Christmas: Barry Laverty, M.B., is looking forward to his first Christmas in the cozy village of Ballybucklebo, at least until he learns that his sweetheart, Patricia, might not be coming home for the holidays. That unhappy prospect dampens his spirits somewhat, but Barry has little time to dwell on his romantic disappointments. Christmas may be drawing nigh, but there is little peace to be found on earth, especially for a young doctor plying his trade in the emerald hills and glens of rural Ireland.
Along with his senior partner, Doctor Fingal Flahertie O’Reilly, Barry has his hands full dealing with seasonal coughs and colds, as well as the occasional medical emergency. To add to the doctors’ worries, competition arrives in the form of a patient-poaching new physician whose quackery threatens the health and well-being of the good people of Ballybucklebo. Can one territory support three hungry doctors? Barry has his doubts.
But the wintry days and nights are not without a few tidings of comfort and joy. Between their hectic medical practice, Rugby Club parties, and the kiddies’ Christmas Pageant, the two doctors still find time to play Santa Claus to a struggling single mother with a sick child and not enough money in the bank. Snow is rare in Ulster, and so are miracles, but that doesn’t mean they never happen. . . .
(Ends December 17)
- Shadows in Flight by Orson Scott Card (Ends 12/2)
- Sisterhood of Dune by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson (Ends 12/2)
- Hard Knocks by Howie Carr (Ends 12/2)
- Sisterhood of Dune by Kevin J. Anderson (Ends 12/9)
- Shadows in Flight by Orson Scott Card (Ends 12/9)
- The Scar by Sergey Dyachenko (Ends 12/17)
- Artic Rising by Tobias Buckell (Ends 12/17)
- Living Proof by Kira Peikoff (Ends 12/17)
- Cain at Gettysburg by Ralph Peters (Ends 12/17)
- Touchstone by Melanie Rawn (Ends 12/17)
- A War of Gifts by Orson Scott Card (Ends 12/17)