The Clockwork Sky Sneak Peek
The Clockwork Sky—a gear-filled nightmare of steampunk London!
Madeleine Rosca is perhaps best known as the creator of Hollow Fields, a manga trilogy that won Japan’s first International Manga Award. For The Clockwork Sky, this talented Australian writer-artist created a steampunk version of Victorian London that is undergoing class warfare. A mysterious factory produces amazing clockwork mechanicals that have replaced humans in manufacturing, service, and most other kinds of labor. This is the brainchild of Erasmus Croach, who grows ever wealthier and more important . . . but who has no control over the infuriating and outrageous activities of his irrepressible niece, Sally Peppers.
Sally chafes at the limitations placed on young women in Victorian society and would like nothing more than to invent her own wonders. But her uncle keeps her literally chained to her desk in the schoolroom, instructed—and guarded—by one of his robots. One day Sally slips those chains and flees on a stolen velocipede, only to discover that London is on the brink of full-blown riots. The unemployed have taken to the streets, demanding not only jobs but an investigation into the disappearances of hundreds of children from the crowded slums of London and other British cities.
Erasmus Croach demands that his missing niece be found. The Metropolitan Police deploy Croach’s latest and most complex mechanical, the police-bot called Sky, to find her.
And that’s when things begin to get really interesting . . . .
From the Tor/Forge September newsletter. Sign up to receive our newsletter via email.
More from the September Tor/Forge newsletter:
- A Conversation with Cory Doctorow and Charles Stross
- Me Jane by Robin Maxwell
- Blood Sucking Lawyers (For Real) by Phillipa Bornikova
- Books, the Universe, and Cosmic Oddities by Linda Grimes
- Graphic Novel Sweepstakes
- An Editor’s Dirty Little Secret
- On a Bus to New York
- Sister, Healer, Soldier, Spy
- Tor/Forge Blog is Moving to a New Domain
- The Week in Review
- Not at New York Comic-Con Sweepstakes
- Starred Review: Ask Not by Max Allan Collins
- New Releases: 10/8/2013
- Goodreads Sweepstakes: Watcher of the Dark by Joseph Nasisse
- Tor Books Announces Programming for New York Comic-Con 2013
- Read "The Key to the Coward's Spell", an Eddie LaCrosse story by @AlexBledsoe: bit.ly/2bH0sO5 https://t.co/HH35vy5zjD 9 hours ago
- Need more of George RR Martin’s #WildCards in your life? Join @tordotcom for an official reread!… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 13 hours ago
- RT @bnappleton: The final chapter of @veschwab Shades of Magic series is finally here. Who else plans to pick up a copy this week? 🙋 #vesc… 14 hours ago
- CROSSROADS OF CANOPY author @ThoraiyaDyer shares her 5 favorite Australian bush fruits: bit.ly/2kW5HNP https://t.co/tecxrjVjx9 16 hours ago
- Congratulations to the 2016 #NebulaAward nominees! bit.ly/2kUYxJJ https://t.co/kZ0isuED6q 19 hours ago
- Congratulations to Our 2016 Nebula Award Nominees!
- Close Encounters of the Fifth Kind: Supergirl, “Mr. and Mrs. Mxyzptlk”
- Revealing The Cocktail Guide to the Galaxy
- Star Trek The Original Series Rewatch: “The Time Trap”
- Margaret Atwood’s Angel Catbird Sweepstakes!
- The Wheel of Time Reread Redux: The Fires of Heaven, Part 1
- Check Out the First Cast Photo from the Han Solo Film
- Rereading Frank Herbert’s Dune: Dune, Part Thirteen
- Sleeps With Monsters: Queens of Ice and Fire