The Week in Review
Welcome to the week in review! Every Friday, we comb through the links and images we found and shared this week, and pull the very best for this post. Consider it concentrated genre goodness from all around the web.
- The Lands of Ice and Fire publishes next week, and as a teaser, they’ve released some beautiful, official maps from Martin’s Song of Ice and Fire series.
- October’s almost over, which means January’s almost here. For those Wheel of Time fans having trouble waiting for the January 8 publication of A Memory of Light, Tor.com has you covered: you can now listen to the audio version of Chapter Two, “The Choice of an Ajah.”
- Over on Heroes and Heartbreakers, author Suzanne Johnson posted “Chenoire,” an original story, set in the same world as her Sentinels of New Orleans series. Shapeshifting alligators and mer-men, oh my!
- Like ghosts, ghouls, and everything creepy? It’s Ghost Week at Tor.com!
- Great news from NPR: the Facebook generation is reading. Not only that, but they’re using libraries in huge numbers!
- Tor.com’s Emily Asher-Perrin has a really interesting article about the illusion of privacy on the internet.
- Have you seen the award-winning short film Afghan? Inspired by a real life racist act post-9/11, it tells the story of a victim of a hate crime forced to look for humor in a terrible situation. Well worth the time.
And, just to make Friday that much sweeter, here’s a list of sweepstakes and sales we have going on!
- Goodreads First Reads: Bard’s Oath by Joanne Bertin (Ends 10/29)
- The ebook of Hell on Earth, by David L. Porter with Lee Reeder, is on sale for $2.99 (Ends 10/29)
- Ghost Collection Sweepstakes (Ends 10/31)
- The ebook of A Twisted Ladder, by Rhodi Hawk, is on sale for $2.99 (Ends 11/5)
- The ebook of People of the Wolf, by Kathleen O’Neal Gear and W. Michael Gear, is on sale for $2.99 (Ends 11/5)
- Goodreads First Reads: The Shadow Rising by Robert Jordan (Ends 11/8)
- Goodreads First Reads: Forge of Darkness by Steven Erikson (Ends 11/18)