The Week in Review
Welcome to the week in review! Every Friday, we comb through the links and images we found and shared this week, and pull the very best for this post. Consider it concentrated genre goodness from all around the web.
- Deviant Art user (and Whovian!) crazyfoalrus built his own TARDIS control room in his home. This is absolutely insane, and I desperately want one in my apartment.
- In Clarkesworld Magazine, author Lev AC Rosen has a heartfelt plea for genre fiction to include more queer characters: “I’m not saying every story needs a queer character. Or that it’s a writer’s responsibility to do more than tell a great story. But I do think it’s time for all of us—straight folks included—to think more about where queer characters fit into SFF.”
- Want to tour the United States without ever leaving your couch? Now you can, with this list of 50 young adult books, one for each state.
- Mary Robinette Kowal, the author of Shades of Milk and Honey and Glamour in Glass, is auctioning off a manuscript of her next novel, Without a Summer, for Hurricane Sandy relief. Check it out, and donate to a good cause. A lot of folks up here still need help.
- It’s time to start voting for your favorite books of 2012! Start with the Goodreads Choice Awards, a list of great 2012 titles to choose among, including several Tor titles, like Scalzi’s Redshirts and Card’s Shadows in Flight.
- Also announced are the nominees for RT Book Reviews Reviewers’ Choice Awards. In the science fiction category, we have Scalzi’s Redshirts; in fantasy, Tina Connolly’s Ironskin and Mary Robinette Kowal’s Glamour in Glass; and in epic fantasy, Elizabeth Bear’s Range of Ghosts. Congratulations to all the authors nominated!
- Publishers Weekly and Booklist have also come out with the Best SF/F of 2012 lists, and they share a common book: Ann and Jeff VanderMeer’s The Weird!
- Finally, you can now download free wallpaper of The Gathering Storm ebook cover.
And, just to make Friday that much sweeter, here’s a list of sweepstakes and sales we have going on!
- Goodreads First Reads: Forge of Darkness by Steven Erikson (Ends 11/18)
- Goodreads First Reads: The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (Ends 11/27)
- Goodreads First Reads: River Road by Suzanne Johnson (Ends 11/27)
- Goodreads First Reads: All Men of Genius by Lev AC Rosen (Ends 11/27)
- Goodreads First Reads: The Inexplicables by Cherie Priest (Ends 11/27)
- Goodreads First Reads: The Rise of Ransom City by Felix Gilman (Ends 11/27)
- Steampunk Collection Sweepstakes (Ends 11/30)