The Week in Review
Welcome to the week in review! Every Friday, we comb through the links and images we found and shared this week, and pull the very best for this post. Consider it concentrated genre goodness from all around the web.
- There was a total solar eclipse earlier this week! Sadly, it was only visible from Australia. Luckily, NASA and National Geographic, among others, have us covered for images.
- Sir Terry Pratchett, the insanely prolific author behind the Discworld series, has decided to pass his world on to his daughter when he dies. May the Discworld live forever, trundling endlessly through space on the back of a giant turtle.
- Have you seen the first two episodes of BSG: Blood & Chrome? You should! The next webisodes will be available at some point today, if they aren’t already. Great way to waste some time this afternoon!
- Oxford Dictionaries has named a U.S. and U.K. word of the year. Any guesses? Well, the American Word of the Year is. . . GIF. (I know, right?) And the British Word of the Year is. . . omnishambles. Interesting.
- And last, but definitely not least, our sister site Tor.com is looking to hire an in-house publishing liaison. Follow the link for details of the position.
The Tor/Forge newsletter went out this week! Check out these fascinating articles from our authors:
- How Many Syllables Was That Again, or “Can I Buy a Vowel?” by Melissa Ann Singer, Senior Editor
- Living in a Real Teenage Dystopia: The Classroom by Isamu Fukui
- The Care and Feeding of a Villain by Joseph Nassise
- On Taking Risks and Being Dead by Sharon Lynn Fisher
And, just to make Friday that much sweeter, here’s a list of sweepstakes and sales we have going on!
- Goodreads First Reads: Forge of Darkness by Steven Erikson (Ends 11/18)
- November #TorChat Sweepstakes (Ends 11/21)
- A Memory of Light Backpack Sweepstakes (Ends 11/21)
- Goodreads First Reads: The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (Ends 11/27)
- Goodreads First Reads: River Road by Suzanne Johnson (Ends 11/27)
- Goodreads First Reads: All Men of Genius by Lev AC Rosen (Ends 11/27)
- Goodreads First Reads: The Inexplicables by Cherie Priest (Ends 11/27)
- Goodreads First Reads: The Rise of Ransom City by Felix Gilman (Ends 11/27)
- Steampunk Collection Sweepstakes (Ends 11/30)
- An Editor’s Dirty Little Secret
- On a Bus to New York
- Sister, Healer, Soldier, Spy
- Tor/Forge Blog is Moving to a New Domain
- The Week in Review
- Not at New York Comic-Con Sweepstakes
- Starred Review: Ask Not by Max Allan Collins
- New Releases: 10/8/2013
- Goodreads Sweepstakes: Watcher of the Dark by Joseph Nasisse
- Tor Books Announces Programming for New York Comic-Con 2013
- Don't miss out on this chance to win @seananmcguire's DOWN AMONG THE STICKS AND BONES! bit.ly/2nL5PCd https://t.co/5pPynq3NB4 15 hours ago
- The Deadmen definitely aren’t choirboys…read an excerpt of @kenyonsherrilyn’s upcoming novel #DeadmenWalking:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 17 hours ago
- Read "Selfies," a dark fantasy story by @lavietidhar about the peril of cell phones: bit.ly/1P3Fogq https://t.co/yogBayVnfz 1 day ago
- The Sin du Jour crew caters to the Shadow Government in @MattFnWallace's GREEDY PIGS. Read an excerpt:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- Read an interview with #Skullsworn author @BrianStaveley on @FantasyFaction: bit.ly/2on9k28 https://t.co/x2J3mFxKhy 1 day ago
- Tiny Jyn Erso Heads to Star Wars Celebration, Hands Every Leia a Copy of the Death Star Plans
- What is the Best Collective Noun for Authors?
- New To The Wheel of Time? This Video Gives You the Basics in 60 Seconds
- American Gods Showrunners Talk Sex; Reveal Favorite Deities
- Night Magic
- Where Do We Go From Here? The Magicians, “We Have Brought You Little Cakes”
- The Speculative World of William Shakespeare
- Supernatural Urban Decay: Night Train
- 5 Books That Get Ruined If You Take Away a Key Piece of Technology
- Firewalk Without Me, Please: Firestarter