Reading the Final Scene of the Wheel of Time
Written by Brandon Sanderson
At signings, I’ve often told the story of reading the last scene of The Wheel of Time. This might not be news to some of you. However, it’s one of the questions I get the most. What did it feel like, some five years ago now, to read that last scene of the book as Robert Jordan wrote it?
Soon after I was tapped to help complete the series, I asked Harriet about the last scene of the book. (The one that Robert Jordan had, over the years working on the series, promised fans he knew in detail.) She told me that he had indeed written that scene—and though there were large swaths of unfinished portions of the ending that he hadn’t had time to work on, he’d been determined to get that last scene on the page.
You can imagine my excitement. I flew out to Charleston for the first time in late 2007—before this, I hadn’t read any of the materials, as Harriet preferred that I come get them in person. After a long flight from Salt Lake City to Charleston, Harriet picked me up at the airport and drove me to her house in the city. We got in at nine or ten, I recall, and she had soup warming on the stove. She asked if I’d like some. My reply was, “If it isn’t too much trouble, I’d like to read the ending please…” Holding my enthusiasm was somewhat difficult.
So, I spent the next hours late into the night sitting in a chair beside Robert Jordan’s computer (it had been moved, by coincidence, out of his office and into the sitting room) reading his ending to The Wheel of Time, then poring over the rest of the notes. I remember Harriet passing by once and asking—with a satisfied smile—“It’s good, isn’t it?”
And it is. As a Wheel of Time fan for nearly 20 years at that point, I found myself supremely satisfied. The ending is the right one. Somewhat unexpected, somewhat daring, but also very well done. I knew that whatever else happened—whatever mistakes I made—at least this ending would be there, as Robert Jordan intended. We’ve put it in almost untouched, with just a few edits here and there at Harriet’s direction.
You’re going to love it.
From the Tor/Forge January Wheel of Time newsletter. Sign up to receive our newsletter via email.
More from the January Wheel of Time Tor/Forge newsletter:
- Computers Made It Easier by Harriet McDougal
- The Wheel of Time: Legacy
- A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words: The Eye of the World Graphic Novels by Melissa Ann Singer
- The Turning of an Age, plus… Haiku by Jason Denzel
- Channelling Saidar by Jennifer Liang
- A Memory of Light Backpack Sweepstakes
- An Editor’s Dirty Little Secret
- On a Bus to New York
- Sister, Healer, Soldier, Spy
- Tor/Forge Blog is Moving to a New Domain
- The Week in Review
- Not at New York Comic-Con Sweepstakes
- Starred Review: Ask Not by Max Allan Collins
- New Releases: 10/8/2013
- Goodreads Sweepstakes: Watcher of the Dark by Joseph Nasisse
- Tor Books Announces Programming for New York Comic-Con 2013
- Read "The Key to the Coward's Spell", an Eddie LaCrosse story by @AlexBledsoe: bit.ly/2bH0sO5 https://t.co/HH35vy5zjD 9 hours ago
- Need more of George RR Martin’s #WildCards in your life? Join @tordotcom for an official reread!… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 13 hours ago
- RT @bnappleton: The final chapter of @veschwab Shades of Magic series is finally here. Who else plans to pick up a copy this week? 🙋 #vesc… 14 hours ago
- CROSSROADS OF CANOPY author @ThoraiyaDyer shares her 5 favorite Australian bush fruits: bit.ly/2kW5HNP https://t.co/tecxrjVjx9 16 hours ago
- Congratulations to the 2016 #NebulaAward nominees! bit.ly/2kUYxJJ https://t.co/kZ0isuED6q 19 hours ago
- Congratulations to Our 2016 Nebula Award Nominees!
- Close Encounters of the Fifth Kind: Supergirl, “Mr. and Mrs. Mxyzptlk”
- Revealing The Cocktail Guide to the Galaxy
- Star Trek The Original Series Rewatch: “The Time Trap”
- Margaret Atwood’s Angel Catbird Sweepstakes!
- The Wheel of Time Reread Redux: The Fires of Heaven, Part 1
- Check Out the First Cast Photo from the Han Solo Film
- Rereading Frank Herbert’s Dune: Dune, Part Thirteen
- Sleeps With Monsters: Queens of Ice and Fire