The Week in Review
Welcome to the week in review! Every Friday, we comb through the links and images we found and shared this week, and pull the very best for this post. Consider it concentrated genre goodness from all around the web.
- Have you seen the new trailer for the upcoming Iron Man 3 movie? We admit we’re a little biased – we love super hero movies – but it looks pretty amazing.
- There are rumors in the stamp collecting world that the U.S. Post Office is considering doing sci-fi stamps. What American sci-fi authors would you like to see on a stamp? According to the article, only 5 authors, who have been dead for at least five years, will be honored. A tough choice!
- Capitol Couture has begun released portraits of the characters from Catching Fire. Tor.com has collected the images of Effie, Caesar Flickerman, Haymitch Abernathy, Cinna, and Katniss Everdeen herself.
- Fantasy Cafe has announced that once again, April will be Women in SFF Month.
- Suvudu’s 2013 Cage Match has begun!
- On Far Beyond Reality, you can read an excerpt of Brandon Sanderson’s The Rithmatist. Great Friday afternoon reading!
- Tor.com is starting a technical redesign of their site. Help them identify what features you love, and what could use updating.
- And finally…Tor Books has joined Pinterest! Follow us there to see what fun and geeky things we’re pinning.
The Tor/Forge newsletter went out this week! Check out these fascinating articles from our authors:
- Commuting Between Universes by Brian Herbert and Kevn J. Anderson
- Building the World of a Series by Mindee Arnett
- What is Gaslamp Fantasy? by Terri Windling
- Ignoring the Body in the Library: The World of Farthing by Jo Walton
And, just to make Friday that much sweeter, here’s a list of sweepstakes and sales we have going on!
- Goodreads First Reads: A Time of Change by Aimée and David Thurlo (Ends 3/13)
- Goodreads First Reads: Code White by Scott Britz-Cunningham (Ends 3/13)
- Goodreads Giveaway: The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson (Ends 3/15)
- Goodreads First Reads: London Falling by Paul Cornell (Ends 3/20)
- Goodreads First Reads: Terror Red by Colonel David Hunt and Christine Hunsinger (Ends 3/21)
- Goodreads First Reads: Immortal Trust by Claire Ashgrove (Ends 3/26)
- Goodreads Giveaway: The Gate Thief by Orson Scott Card (Ends 3/26)
- Tor/Forge Newsletter Sweepstakes: Win a collection of Tor Teen titles (Ends 3/28)
- eBook Sale: Hellhole eBook is on sale for $2.99 (Ends 4/3)
- An Editor’s Dirty Little Secret
- On a Bus to New York
- Sister, Healer, Soldier, Spy
- Tor/Forge Blog is Moving to a New Domain
- The Week in Review
- Not at New York Comic-Con Sweepstakes
- Starred Review: Ask Not by Max Allan Collins
- New Releases: 10/8/2013
- Goodreads Sweepstakes: Watcher of the Dark by Joseph Nasisse
- Tor Books Announces Programming for New York Comic-Con 2013
- Looking for a fantasy story to read? Try "Losing Heart Among the Tall," a Stormwrack novelette by @AlyxDellamonica:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 7 hours ago
- Here’s a chance to win #SeventhSun, @KentLesterAuth’s new scientific thriller: bit.ly/2kMg0p9 https://t.co/N6zpdLRKX4 11 hours ago
- RT @BNSciFi: We talk with @veschwab about A CONJURING OF LIGHT, her Hogwarts house, & writing fantasy that lights up the world. https://t.c… 14 hours ago
- RT @NASA: New record! We’ve found 7 Earth-sized planets around a single star outside our solar system; 3 in habitable zone: https://t.co/Gg… 14 hours ago
- FINN FANCY NECROMANCY author @randyauthor on seeing a familiar town from a new point of view:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 15 hours ago
- Reunion Tour: Kings of the Wyld by Nicholas Eames
- Five Books About Trolls
- Urban Legends of Ancient Egypt: Gene Wolfe’s “Lord of the Land”
- Astronomers Find 7 Earth-Sized Exoplanets Orbiting One Star
- V.E. Schwab Prize Pack Sweepstakes!
- Malazan Reread of the Fallen: Forge of Darkness, Prelude
- The Grisha Trilogy Reread: Ruin and Rising, Part Three
- Catch a FIYAH: Notes on Building a Black Speculative Fiction Revolution
- Losing Heart Among the Tall
- A Peculiar Coat, Four Years Later