Throwback Thursdays: Something new on the Web: Tor.com!
Welcome to Throwback Thursdays, a new feature on the Tor/Forge blog! Every other week, we’re delving into our newsletter archives and sharing some of our favorite posts. In honor of Tor.com’s fifth birthday, we thought we’d start with the announcement of the site’s launch. Enjoy this blast from the past, and be sure to check back every other Thursday for more!
Written by Torie Atkinson
On July 20th, 2008, we at Tor celebrated two things: the 39th anniversary of the man setting foot on the moon, and the launch of Tor.com.
For those of you who have not yet stumbled across our red rocket, Tor.com is devoted to news and discussion about science fiction, fantasy, and all the things that interest SF and fantasy readers. It is an initiative of Tor Books and Macmillan but those writing for the site include a wide range of bloggers, editors, and authors published by many other houses and from all corners of the science fiction and fantasy field.
Each month, we offer a free electronic download of a science fiction or fantasy novel, without DRM and in a variety of formats. Our September giveaway honored the first married couple to both be nominated for the World Fantasy Award for Best Novel: Emma Bull (for Territory) and Will Shetterly (for The Gospel of the Knife). We gave away a pair of classics: Bull’s War for the Oaks and Shetterly’s Dogland. The current book available for free download is Jane Lindskold’s The Buried Pyramid. These books are only available to registered users for a limited time, so sign up today!
In addition to our ebooks, we publish original short fiction from award-winning authors in speculative fiction, each accompanied by one or more beautiful illustrations. So far we have published stories by such luminaries as Elizabeth Bear, Terry Bisson, Cory Doctorow, Steven Gould, Rudy Rucker, John Scalzi, and Charles Stross. Our most recent story, “A Water Matter,” comes from Jay Lake, the 2004 Campbell Award winner for Best New Writer. Each story can also be downloaded in a variety of ebook formats or as an mp3 read by the author.
And fiction is only the beginning: Tor.com presents original comics and sequential art ranging from webcomics stars such as Emily Horne and Joey Comeau of A Softer World fame, and relative newcomers like Wesley Allsbrook. We just wrapped up a six week serial titled “Better Zombies Through Physics,” by Jim Ottaviani and Sean Bieri, a comic that Schrödinger himself would have enjoyed. Comics are only a fraction of the art available in Tor.com’s extensive galleries, which feature impressive illustrators of the fantastic like Dan Dos Santos, Eric Fortune, John Harris, and Greg Ruth.
And finally: our blog. Tor.com is the only place where you can see Jo Walton, Jane Lindskold, and John Joseph Adams rubbing elbows on the front page, bringing you news and commentary on everything from cute robots to the rise of Twitter, from a review of the latest Pratchett novel to the future of the Singularity in fiction. But most importantly, Tor.com is a community of fans and readers of science fiction and fantasy. Stop by for a while. You can comment on our blogs and stories, talk to the authors, connect to other fans, and even start your own conversations. What do you have to say?
The aim of Tor.com is to provoke, encourage, and enable interesting and rewarding conversations with and among its readers. We hope that you’ll join us, and that you enjoy the many things we have to offer.
- An Editor’s Dirty Little Secret
- On a Bus to New York
- Sister, Healer, Soldier, Spy
- Tor/Forge Blog is Moving to a New Domain
- The Week in Review
- Not at New York Comic-Con Sweepstakes
- Starred Review: Ask Not by Max Allan Collins
- New Releases: 10/8/2013
- Goodreads Sweepstakes: Watcher of the Dark by Joseph Nasisse
- Tor Books Announces Programming for New York Comic-Con 2013
- Read "The Key to the Coward's Spell", an Eddie LaCrosse story by @AlexBledsoe: bit.ly/2bH0sO5 https://t.co/HH35vy5zjD 11 hours ago
- Need more of George RR Martin’s #WildCards in your life? Join @tordotcom for an official reread!… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 15 hours ago
- RT @bnappleton: The final chapter of @veschwab Shades of Magic series is finally here. Who else plans to pick up a copy this week? 🙋 #vesc… 16 hours ago
- CROSSROADS OF CANOPY author @ThoraiyaDyer shares her 5 favorite Australian bush fruits: bit.ly/2kW5HNP https://t.co/tecxrjVjx9 18 hours ago
- Congratulations to the 2016 #NebulaAward nominees! bit.ly/2kUYxJJ https://t.co/kZ0isuED6q 21 hours ago
- Congratulations to Our 2016 Nebula Award Nominees!
- Close Encounters of the Fifth Kind: Supergirl, “Mr. and Mrs. Mxyzptlk”
- Revealing The Cocktail Guide to the Galaxy
- Star Trek The Original Series Rewatch: “The Time Trap”
- Margaret Atwood’s Angel Catbird Sweepstakes!
- The Wheel of Time Reread Redux: The Fires of Heaven, Part 1
- Check Out the First Cast Photo from the Han Solo Film
- Rereading Frank Herbert’s Dune: Dune, Part Thirteen
- Sleeps With Monsters: Queens of Ice and Fire