Tor Books is heading to New York Comic-Con!
We hope to see many of you there. Stop by Booth #2223 to say hi or to participate in one of our many events and signings.
But for those of you who couldn’t make it out to New York, we wanted to offer you the chance to grab some of the same amazing swag and books that we’re promoting at #NYCC. To enter for the chance to win one of these three prize bundles, leave a comment on this post telling us one fabulous thing that you’ll be doing this week while you are #NotAtComicCon.
Here’s a look at the prize:
And here’s a list of what’s included in each prize bundle:
- Wheel of Time iPhone cover
- The Way of Kings quote magnets
- After the Golden Age by Carrie Vaughn
- Among Others by Jo Walton
- Antigoddess by Kendare Blake
- Article 5 by Kristen Simmons
- Attack of the Vampire Weenies by David Lubar
- The Clockwork Sky by Madeleine Rosca
- Cold City by F. Paul Wilson
- Dragon Age Asunder by David Gaider
- Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card
- The Eye of the World: The Graphic Novel: Vol One
- The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan
- Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson
- Girl Genius Omnibus Volume One by Phil Foglio and Kaja Foglio
- Halo: The Thursday War by Nancy Traviss
- Ironskin by Tina Connolly
- Johnny Hiro: The Skills to Pay the Bills by Fred Chao
- Old Man’s War by John Scalzi
- The Omen Machine by Terry Goodkind
- Paul of Dune by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson
- Range of Ghosts by Elizabeth Bear
- Three Parts Dead by Max Gladstone
- Vicious by V.E. Schwab
- The Waking Engine by David Edison
- The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson
- Wide Open by Deborah Coates
- Wild Cards I edited by George R. R. Martin
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A purchase does not improve your chances of winning. Sweepstakes open to legal residents of 50 United States, D.C., and Canada (excluding Quebec), who are 18 as of the date of entry. To enter, leave a comment below beginning at 10:00 AM Eastern Time (ET) Wednesday, October 10, 2013. Sweepstakes ends at 12:00 PM ET Monday, October 14, 2013. Void outside the United States and Canada and where prohibited by law. Please see full details and official rules here. Sponsor: Tom Doherty Associates, LLC, 175 Fifth Ave., New York, NY 10010.
About A Memory of Light: Since 1990, when Robert Jordan’s The Wheel of Time® burst on the world with its first book, The Eye of the World, readers have been anticipating the final scenes of this extraordinary saga, which has sold over forty million copies in over thirty languages.
When Robert Jordan died in 2007, all feared that these concluding scenes would never be written. But working from notes and partials left by Jordan, established fantasy writer Brandon Sanderson stepped in to complete the masterwork. WithThe Gathering Storm (Book 12) and Towers of Midnight (Book 13) behind him, both of which were # 1 New York Times hardcover bestsellers, Sanderson now re-creates the vision that Robert Jordan left behind.
Edited by Jordan’s widow, who edited all of Jordan’s books, A Memory of Light will delight, enthrall, and deeply satisfy all of Jordan’s legions of readers.
The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass.
What was, what will be, and what is,
may yet fall under the Shadow.
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.
The Rithmatist releases May 14 but we have a chance for you to win one of six advance reading copies now. And that’s not all, winners will also get a Rithmatist goody bag filled with chalk and a Memory of Light backpack! Comment below to enter for a chance to win.
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. You must be 18 or older and a legal resident of the 50 United States or D.C. to enter. Promotion begins April 1, 2013 at 9 a.m. ET. and ends April 5, 2013, 12:00 p.m. ET. Void in Puerto Rico and wherever prohibited by law. Please see full details and official rules go here. Sponsor: Tom Doherty Associates, LLC.
Welcome to the week in review! Every Friday, we comb through the links and images we found and shared this week, and pull the very best for this post. Consider it concentrated genre goodness from all around the web.
- Check out the book trailer for The Six-Gun Tarot, by R. S. Belcher. Buffy meets Deadwood in a dark, wildly imaginative historical fantasy.
- Here’s another amazing book trailer for you: meet the Hugo Award-winning author who’s also…a mad scientist!
- Brandon Sanderson did a #TorChat this week! If you missed it, Tor.com collected some of his answers to fans’ questions.
- Artist Michael Whelan talks about the process he went through creating the cover painting for A Memory of Light.
- Across the pond, Tor UK talks to Cherie Priest about her Clockwork Century series. And, speaking of Tor UK, we’re delighted to report they now have a Facebook page!
- And last, but definitely not least, “Walk the Plank,” the second episode in John Scalzi’s ebook experiment The Human Division, released this week. Follow along with Ron Hogan’s read-along on Tor.com.
And, just to make Friday that much sweeter, here’s a list of sweepstakes and sales we have going on!
- Waiting on Wednesday: Breaking Point by Kristen Simmons (Ends 1/29)
- #TorChat January Sweepstakes: Win a copy of Brandon Sanderson’s The Rithmatist (Ends 1/30)
- Goodreads First Reads: The Mad Scientist’s Guide to World Domination edited by John Joseph Adams (Ends 1/31)
- Goodreads First Reads: Firebrand by Gillian Phillip (Ends 1/31)
- Goodreads First Reads: Blood’s Pride by Evie Manieri (Ends 1/31)
- Goodreads First Reads: Deep Down by Deborah Coates (Ends 2/13)
- Goodreads First Reads: The Nightmare Affair by Mindee Arnett (Ends 2/13)
- eBook Sale: Lion of Ireland by Morgan Llywelyn (Ends 3/6)
Did you participate in today’s #TorChat? We hope you enjoyed it and look forward to your participation in next month’s chat on February 20th!
In the meantime, here’s your chance to win a prize! Two lucky winners will receive an advance reading copy of The Rithmatist, plus A Memory of Light bag and iPhone cover. Leave a comment below to enter.
And again we’d like to thank Brandon Sanderson for joining us on Twitter today.
Sweepstakes closes to new entries on January 30th at noon.
And don’t forget to come and join us next month, on February 20th, at 4 PM Eastern!
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. You must be 18 or older and a legal resident of the 50 United States or D.C. to enter. Promotion begins January 23, 2013 at 4:30 p.m. ET. and ends January 30, 2013, 12:00 p.m. ET. Void in Puerto Rico and wherever prohibited by law. Please see full details and official rules go here. Sponsor: Tom Doherty Associates, LLC.
You guessed right…it’s Brandon Sanderson month!
January 8, 2012 was one of the most anticipated days of the last two decades: it saw the publication of A Memory of Light, the final book in Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time series. Joining us to talk about the series will be Brandon Sanderson, the #1 New York Times bestselling author hand-picked to take up Robert Jordan’s mantle.
Brandon will be joining us to talk about how it felt to finish a story that has spanned more than two decades. It has been an emotional journey for everyone involved, from Team Jordan and Brandon himself, to all the fans of the series, many of whom have been there from the very beginning.
The chat will be loosely moderated by Sally Feller (@Sally_TorBooks), Brandon’s publicist at Tor. We hope Wheel of Time fans will come join us on Wednesday, January 23rd, at 4 PM Eastern!
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time!
About the Author
BRANDON SANDERSON (@BrandSanderson) grew up in Lincoln, Nebraska. He teaches creative writing at Brigham Young University and lives in Utah with his wife and children. He is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of The Alloy of Law, Towers of Midnight, The Way of Kings, The Gathering Storm, Warbreaker, Elantris, the Mistborn trilogy, and the middle grade “Alcatraz” series. In December of 2007, Brandon was chosen to complete Robert Jordan’s bestselling Wheel of Time series. The final book, A Memory of Light, was published on January 8, 2013.
For fascinating behind-the-scenes information on Brandon Sanderson’s work, visit him at www.brandonsanderson.com.
#TorChat is a genre-themed, hour-long chat series created by Tor Books and hosted on Twitter. Guest authors join fans in lively, informative and entertaining discussions of all that’s hot in genre fiction, 140 characters at a time, from 4 – 5 PM EST on the third Wednesday of every month. Each #TorChat revolves around a different genre topic of interest, often of a timely nature, and strives to provide a new media opportunity for readers to connect with their favorite authors.
About Tor Books
Tor Books, an imprint of Tom Doherty Associates, LLC, is a New York-based publisher of hardcover and softcover books. Founded in 1980, Tor annually publishes what is arguably the largest and most diverse line of science fiction and fantasy ever produced by a single English-language publisher. In 2002, Tor launched Starscape, an imprint dedicated to publishing quality science fiction and fantasy for young readers, including books by critically acclaimed and award winning authors such as Cory Doctorow, Orson Scott Card, and David Lubar. Between an extensive hardcover and trade-softcover line, an Orb backlist program, and a stronghold in mass-market paperbacks, books from Tor have won every major award in the SF and fantasy fields, and has been named Best Publisher 25 years in a row in the Locus Poll, the largest consumer poll in SF.