Welcome to the week in review! Every Friday, we comb through the links and images we found and shared this week, and pull the very best for this post. Consider it concentrated genre goodness from all around the web.
- The guys at the LEGO Workshop can really create magic, as evidenced by this life-sized LEGO Hobbit Hole. They should turn it into a hotel – I would absolutely pay money to stay there for a night!
- Introducing Throwback Thursdays! Every other Thursday, we’re digging into the archives of the T/F Newsletter and sharing some of our favorite old articles, starting with the launch of Tor.com!
- Tor Books is proud to announce that we’ve acquired The Three-Body Problem, an award-winning Chinese science fiction trilogy by Liu Cixin! They will be translated by Ken Liu.
- We love discussion posts, and io9 had a great one this week: what sci-fi book would you give to a first time genre reader? I usually start by giving them Ender’s Game or Old Man’s War.
- And finally, to celebrate the upcoming publication of Dangerous Women, the anthology edited by George R. R. Martin and Gardner Dozois, Tor.com is sharing excerpts, articles, and discussions.
The Tor/Forge newsletter went out this week! Check out these fascinating articles from our authors:
- Words and Art: Giving Mist a Face by Susan Krinard
- Identity Crisis by Jenna Black
- Ender’s Game Sweepstakes
And, just to make Friday that much sweeter, here’s a list of sweepstakes and sales we have going on!
- Ender’s Game Sweepstakes (Ends 7/31)
- Goodreads First Reads: What Are the Chances by Kenny Rogers with Mike Blakely (Ends 8/1)
- Goodreads First Reads: Alien Hunter by Whitley Strieber (Ends 8/2)
- eBook Sale: Passion Play, by Beth Bernobich, on sale for $2.99 (Ends 8/4)
- Goodreads Giveaway: The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson (Ends 8/8)
- eBook Sale: The Grays, by Whitley Strieber, is on sale for $2.99 (Ends 8/9)
- eBook Sale: Royal Street, by Suzanne Johnson, is on sale for $2.99 (Ends 8/9)
- Goodreads First Reads: UFO Hunters by William J. Birnes (Ends 8/13)
- Goodreads First Reads: The Wrong Girl by Hank Phillippi Ryan (Ends 8/14)
- Goodreads First Reads: Delia’s Shadow by Jaime Lee Moyer (Ends 8/21)
- Goodreads First Reads: The One-Eyed Man by L. E. Modesitt, Jr. (Ends 8/22)
GEORGE R. R. MARTIN is the internationally bestselling author of The Song of Ice and Fire series, which is the basis for HBO series “Game of Thrones”.
Now for a limited time you can enter on Goodreads for the chance to win some of the most recent short stories anthologies that he has edited with Gardner Dozois.
(Ends June 13)
- Blood Trust by Eric Van Lustbader (Ends 6/03)
- Kitty’s Greates Hits by Carrie Vaughn (Ends 6/10)
- Original Sin by Lisa Desrochers (Ends 6/10)
- Abyss by David Hagberg (Ends 6/10)
- Dry Ice by Bill Evans and Marianna Jameson(Ends 6/13)
- Inside Straight edited by George R. R. Martin (6/13)
- Busted Flush edited by George R. R. Martin
- Suicide Kings edited by George R. R. Martin (6/13)
- Warriors 1 edited by George R. R. Martin and Gardner Dozois (6/13)
- Warriors 2 edited by George R. R. Martin and Gardner Dozois (6/13)
- Songs of the Dying Earth edited by George R. R. Martin and Gardner Dozois (6/13)
- Bye Bye, Baby by Max Allan Collins (Ends 6/13)
- Awakenings by Edward Lazellari (Ends 7/13)
Hawkmoon: The Runestaff by Michael Moorcock
See what titles are releasing over the next 3 months.
Enter for a chance to win a copy of on Goodreads!
About Songs of the Dying Earth: To honor the magnificent career of Jack Vance, one unparalleled in achievement and impact, George R.R. Martin and Gardner Dozois, with the full cooperation of Vance, his family, and his agents, have created a Jack Vance tribute anthology:Songs of the Dying Earth. The best of today’s fantasy writers to return to the unique and evocative milieu of The Dying Earth, from which they and so many others have drawn so much inspiration, to create their own brand-new adventures in the world of Jack Vance’s greatest novel.
Half a century ago, Jack Vance created the world of the Dying Earth, and fantasy has never been the same. Now, for the first time ever, Jack has agreed to open this bizarre and darkly beautiful world to other fantasists, to play in as their very own. To say that other fantasy writers are excited by this prospect is a gross understatement; one has told us that he’d crawl through broken glass for the chance to write for the anthology, another that he’d gladly give up his right arm for the privilege. That’s the kind of regard in which Jack Vance and The Dying Earth are held by generations of his peers.
This book contains original stories from George R. R. Martin, Neil Gaiman, Dan Simmons, Elizabeth Moon, Tanith Lee, Tad Williams, Kage Baker, and Robert Silverberg, along with fifteen others–as well as an introduction by Dean Koontz.
(Ends December 12) Open to US only.
- Ender’s Shadow Limited Edition Prize Pack (Ends 1/4)
- Steampunk Books & Goggles Giveaway (Ends 12/12)
- Dance in the Vampire Bund Giveaway (Ends 12/6)
- 25 Science Fiction Books from Tor (Ends 12/6)
- 25 Fantasy Books from Tor (Ends 12/6)
- The Lost Gate by Orson Scott Card (Ends 12/6)
- Ender’s Game Limited Edition Prize Pack (Ends 12/2)
- Deadhouse Gates by Steven Erikson (Ends 12/1)
- Brandon Sanderson Prize Pack (Ends 11/22)
- David Weber Prize Pack (Ends 11/22)
- Empress of Eternity by L.E. Modesitt, Jr. (Ends 11/17)
- An Editor’s Dirty Little Secret
- On a Bus to New York
- Sister, Healer, Soldier, Spy
- Tor/Forge Blog is Moving to a New Domain
- The Week in Review
- Not at New York Comic-Con Sweepstakes
- Starred Review: Ask Not by Max Allan Collins
- New Releases: 10/8/2013
- Goodreads Sweepstakes: Watcher of the Dark by Joseph Nasisse
- Tor Books Announces Programming for New York Comic-Con 2013
- Read "Blue is a Darkness Weakened by Light", @therejectionist's fantasy story about a young editor and an old soul:… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 2 hours ago
- .@BNSciFi reviews #ATasteofHoney: “If Wilson is the future of fantasy, I can’t wait to read what’s next.”… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 5 hours ago
- RT @tordotcom: Enter the epic worlds of @BrandSanderson with an #ArcanumUnbounded excerpt! THE EMPEROR’S SOUL: Prologue to Day Five https:/… 7 hours ago
- .@GooglePlay is celebrating all things #StarTrek, including @scalzi's #Redshirts: bit.ly/2eBJLqX https://t.co/2Xk6jXejyx 10 hours ago
- Is there a Grand Tradition of humor in #sff? @samsykesswears investigates for @unboundworlds:… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 12 hours ago
- Rereading Katherine Kurtz: Camber the Heretic, Chapters 4-5
- Sci-Fi and Mystery Author Sheri S. Tepper, 1929-2016
- Willful Child: Wrath of Betty (Excerpt)
- Belle Chasse Sweepstakes!
- Rereading the Vorkosigan Saga: The Warrior’s Apprentice, Chapter 21 and Epilogue
- You Mad, Bro? Black Mirror, “Shut Up and Dance”
- Wings Gleaming Like Beaten Bronze: Elizabeth Bear’s Eternal Sky Trilogy
- Revisiting a Horror-Comedy Classic: Gene Wilder’s Haunted Honeymoon
- Trying Too Hard: Black Mirror, “Nosedive”
- Westworld Season 1, Episode 4: “Dissonance Theory”