About Inside Straight: In 1946, an alien virus that rewrites human DNA was accidentally unleashed in the skies over New York City. It killed ninety percent of those it infected. Nine percent of those who survived mutated into tragically deformed creatures. And one percent gained superpowers. The Wild Cards shared-universe series, created and edited since 1987 by New York Times #1 bestseller George R. R. Martin along with Melinda Snodgrass, is the tale of the history of the world since then—and of the heroes among that one percent.
Originally begun in 1986, long before George R. R. Martin became a household name among fantasy readers (“The American Tolkien” —Time magazine), theWild Cards series earned a reputation among connoisseurs for its smart reimagining of the superhero idea. Now, with Inside Straight, the Wild Cards continuity jumps forward to a new generation of major characters, entirely accessible to Martin’s hundreds of thousands of new readers, with all-original stories by Martin himself, along with Daniel Abraham, Michael Cassutt, and Stephen Leigh, among others.
*sale ends November 1
Welcome to the week in review! Every Friday, we comb through the links and images we found and shared this week, and pull the very best for this post. Consider it concentrated genre goodness from all around the web.
- San Diego Comic-Con is here! We’re following all the news coming out of San Diego pretty closely, and are extremely jealous of everyone there (especially our fellow Tor staffers!). If you’re not there either, you may have missed the above video, and it’s totally worth watching – it features George R.R. Martin and Neil Gaiman being awesome.
- Happy birthday, Tor.com! For their fifth birthday, Tor.com is offering a massive (and massively awesome) free download of five years of stories, five new stories, and a fifth birthday sweepstakes!
- Over on LitReactor, Ben Umstead has a great article about where we read, and why we read there. What’s your favorite place to read?
- More news out of SDCC: looks like Firefly may become an MMO. Plus: Hailee Steinfeld has awesome nerdy nails.
- There’s a new Ender’s Game video from SDCC, featuring Harrison Ford welcoming recruits to Battle School. Would you go, given the chance?
- Last but definitely not least, if you’re at San Diego Comic-Con, come say hi!
And, just to make Friday that much sweeter, here’s a list of sweepstakes and sales we have going on!
- Not at Comic-Con Sweepstakes (Ends 7/22)
- Goodreads First Reads: Antigoddess by Kendare Blake (Ends 7/23)
- Goodreads First Reads: The Lost Prince by Edward Lazellari (Ends 7/24)
- Ender’s Game Sweepstakes (Ends 7/31)
- Goodreads First Reads: What Are the Chances by Kenny Rogers with Mike Blakely (Ends 8/1)
- Goodreads First Reads: Alien Hunter by Whitley Strieber (Ends 8/2)
- Goodreads Giveaway: The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson (Ends 8/8)
- eBook Sale: The Grays, by Whitley Strieber, is on sale for $2.99 (Ends 8/9)
- eBook Sale: Royal Street, by Suzanne Johnson, is on sale for $2.99 (Ends 8/9)
- Goodreads First Reads: UFO Hunters by William J. Birnes (Ends 8/13)
- Goodreads First Reads: The Wrong Girl by Hank Phillippi Ryan (Ends 8/14)
Tor Books is heading to San Diego Comic-Con!
We hope to see many of you there. Stop by Booth #2707 to say hi or to participate in one of our many events and signings.
But for those of you who couldn’t make it out to California, we wanted to offer you the chance to grab some of the same amazing swag and books that we’re promoting at #SDCC. To enter for the chance to win one of these five prize bundles, leave a comment on this post telling us one fabulous thing that you’ll be doing this week while you are #NotAtComicCon. Whether you’re battling Dragon Army, matching wits with Tyrion Lannister, or chauffeuring your kids to soccer practice, we hope that you have a wonderful week.
Here’s a look at the prize:
And here’s a list of what’s included in each prize bundle:
- Ender’s Game movie poster
- Ender’s Game T-shirt and cap
- Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card
- The Way of Kings quote magnets
- Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake
- Article 5 by Kristen Simmons
- The Eternity Artifact by L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
- The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan
- The Eye of the World: The Graphic Novel: Volume 3 based on the novel by Robert Jordan, written by Chuck Dixon, and illustrated by Marcio Fiorito and Francis Nuguit
- Forge of Darkness by Steven Erikson
- Girl Genius Omnibus Volume One by Phil Foglio and Kaja Foglio
- Halo: Glasslands by Karen Traviss
- Homeland by Cory Doctorow
- The Hum and the Shiver by Alex Bledsoe
- The Human Division by John Scalzi
- Hunters of Dune by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson
- Ironskin by Tina Connolly
- Johnny Hiro: Half Asian, All Hero by Fred Chao
- London Falling by Paul Cornell
- The Omen Machine by Terry Goodkind
- River Road by Suzanne Johnson
- Sea Change by S. M. Wheeler
- The Walking Dead by Robert Kirkman and Jay Bonansinga
- Wild Cards I edited by George R. R. Martin
Plus, one winner will receive this display exclusive – a Redshirts booth poster!
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. You must be 18 or older and a legal resident of the 50 United States or D.C. to enter. Promotion begins July 18, 2013 at 10:00 a.m. ET. and ends July 22, 2013, 12:00 p.m. ET. Void in Puerto Rico and wherever prohibited by law. Please see full details and official rules go here. Sponsor: Tom Doherty Associates, LLC.