Antigoddess by Kendare Blake
The Goddess War begins in Antigoddess, the first installment of the new series by acclaimed author of Anna Dressed in Blood, Kendare Blake.
Old Gods never die…
Or so Athena thought. But then the feathers started sprouting beneath her skin, invading her lungs like a strange cancer, and Hermes showed up with a fever eating away his flesh. So much for living a quiet eternity in perpetual health.
Desperately seeking the cause of their slow, miserable deaths, Athena and Hermes travel the world, gathering allies and discovering enemies both new and old. Their search leads them to Cassandra — an ordinary girl who was once an extraordinary prophetess, protected and loved by a god.
These days, Cassandra doesn’t involve herself in the business of gods — in fact, she doesn’t even know they exist. But she could be the key in a war that is only just beginning.
Because Hera, the queen of the gods, has aligned herself with other of the ancient Olympians, who are killing off rivals in an attempt to prolong their own lives. But these anti-gods have become corrupted in their desperation to survive, horrific caricatures of their former glory. Athena will need every advantage she can get, because immortals don’t just flicker out.
Every one of them dies in their own way. Some choke on feathers. Others become monsters. All of them rage against their last breath.
The Goddess War is about to begin.
Antigoddess, by Kendare Blake, released on September 10th!
Here’s the full review, from the August 5th issue:
Blake has a real affinity for the way history shapes the present. In Anna Dressed in Blood, a ghost from the 1950s touched an alienated teen in the present; here, the gods of ancient Greece are living out their final days in agony and war, and taking modern mortals down with them. Cassandra Weaver is an ordinary teenager, aside from her psychic abilities, and she struggles to understand the bloody visions that plague her. She senses a connection with the dying characters in them, but why? And why does her boyfriend, Aidan, so readily accept what’s going on? The action is riveting as tattooed and pierced incarnations of Athena and Hermes close in on Cassandra and Aidan; the more context one brings to the images, the eerier they become. Demeter as a leathery skin stretched across the American desert is creepy; in the context of climate change, she is tragic. Blake presents a gory, thrilling vision of the twilight of the gods, in all their pettiness and power, while letting readers draw their own messages and conclusions. Ages 12–up. Agent: Adriann Ranta, Wolf Literary Services. (Sept.)
Antigoddess published on September 10th.
Welcome to the week in review! Every Friday, we comb through the links and images we found and shared this week, and pull the very best for this post. Consider it concentrated genre goodness from all around the web.
- Tor.com has revealed the cover of Brandon Sanderson’s Words of Radiance! The post includes step-by-step images from artist Michael Whelan.
- Speaking of Words of Radiance…in order to make sure that it’s the best sequel it possibly can be, the publication date has been moved to March 4th, 2014.
- A dedicated fan bought an old Star Trek shuttle craft at auction and restored it to near perfect condition! One of the few times I wish I still lived in Houston (I love Houston, just not the weather, haha).
- The Name of the Wind may be coming to TV, and Tor.com put together a dream cast for the show. Who would you cast?
- It’s almost too pretty to eat! But not. Check out this awesome Jupiter cake.
And, just to make Friday that much sweeter, here’s a list of sweepstakes and sales we have going on!
- eBook Sale: Passion Play, by Beth Bernobich, on sale for $2.99 (Ends 8/4)
- Waiting on Wednesday: Antigoddess by Kendare Blake (Ends 8/6)
- Goodreads Giveaway: The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson (Ends 8/8)
- eBook Sale: The Grays, by Whitley Strieber, is on sale for $2.99 (Ends 8/9)
- eBook Sale: Royal Street, by Suzanne Johnson, is on sale for $2.99 (Ends 8/9)
- Goodreads First Reads: UFO Hunters by William J. Birnes (Ends 8/13)
- Goodreads First Reads: The Wrong Girl by Hank Phillippi Ryan (Ends 8/14)
- Goodreads First Reads: Delia’s Shadow by Jaime Lee Moyer (Ends 8/21)
- Goodreads First Reads: The One-Eyed Man by L. E. Modesitt, Jr. (Ends 8/22)
- Goodreads First Reads: Vicious by V. E. Schwab (Ends 8/27)
- Goodreads First Reads: The Incrementalists by Steven Brust and Skyler White (Ends 8/28)
- August Grab Bag Sweepstakes (Ends 8/31)
- eBook Sale: First Daughter, by Eric Van Lustbader, is on sale for $2.99 (Ends 9/6)
- eBook Sale: The Legions of Fire, by David Drake, is on sale for $2.99 (Ends 9/6)