Tor Books is heading to New York Comic-Con!
We hope to see many of you there. Stop by Booth #2223 to say hi or to participate in one of our many events and signings.
But for those of you who couldn’t make it out to New York, we wanted to offer you the chance to grab some of the same amazing swag and books that we’re promoting at #NYCC. To enter for the chance to win one of these three prize bundles, leave a comment on this post telling us one fabulous thing that you’ll be doing this week while you are #NotAtComicCon.
Here’s a look at the prize:
And here’s a list of what’s included in each prize bundle:
- Wheel of Time iPhone cover
- The Way of Kings quote magnets
- After the Golden Age by Carrie Vaughn
- Among Others by Jo Walton
- Antigoddess by Kendare Blake
- Article 5 by Kristen Simmons
- Attack of the Vampire Weenies by David Lubar
- The Clockwork Sky by Madeleine Rosca
- Cold City by F. Paul Wilson
- Dragon Age Asunder by David Gaider
- Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card
- The Eye of the World: The Graphic Novel: Vol One
- The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan
- Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson
- Girl Genius Omnibus Volume One by Phil Foglio and Kaja Foglio
- Halo: The Thursday War by Nancy Traviss
- Ironskin by Tina Connolly
- Johnny Hiro: The Skills to Pay the Bills by Fred Chao
- Old Man’s War by John Scalzi
- The Omen Machine by Terry Goodkind
- Paul of Dune by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson
- Range of Ghosts by Elizabeth Bear
- Three Parts Dead by Max Gladstone
- Vicious by V.E. Schwab
- The Waking Engine by David Edison
- The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson
- Wide Open by Deborah Coates
- Wild Cards I edited by George R. R. Martin
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A purchase does not improve your chances of winning. Sweepstakes open to legal residents of 50 United States, D.C., and Canada (excluding Quebec), who are 18 as of the date of entry. To enter, leave a comment below beginning at 10:00 AM Eastern Time (ET) Wednesday, October 10, 2013. Sweepstakes ends at 12:00 PM ET Monday, October 14, 2013. Void outside the United States and Canada and where prohibited by law. Please see full details and official rules here. Sponsor: Tom Doherty Associates, LLC, 175 Fifth Ave., New York, NY 10010.
About The Way of Kings: Brandon Sanderson, widely acclaimed for his work completing Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time saga, begins a grand cycle of his own, with The Way of Kings, Book One of the Stormlight Archive.
Roshar is a world of stone and storms. Uncanny tempests of incredible power sweep across the rocky terrain so frequently that they have shaped ecology and civilization alike. Animals hide in shells, trees pull in branches, and grass retracts into the soilless ground. Cities are built only where the topography offers shelter.
It has been centuries since the fall of the ten consecrated orders known as the Knights Radiant, but their Shardblades and Shardplate remain: mystical swords and suits of armor that transform ordinary men into near-invincible warriors. Men trade kingdoms for Shardblades. Wars were fought for them, and won by them.
One such war rages on a ruined landscape called the Shattered Plains. There, Kaladin, who traded his medical apprenticeship for a spear to protect his little brother, has been reduced to slavery. In a war that makes no sense, where ten armies fight separately against a single foe, he struggles to save his men and to fathom the leaders who consider them expendable.
Brightlord Dalinar Kholin commands one of those other armies. Like his brother, the late king, he is fascinated by an ancient text called The Way of Kings. Troubled by over-powering visions of ancient times and the Knights Radiant, he has begun to doubt his own sanity.
Across the ocean, an untried young woman named Shallan seeks to train under an eminent scholar and notorious heretic, Dalinar’s niece, Jasnah. Though she genuinely loves learning, Shallan’s motives are less than pure. As she plans a daring theft, her research for Jasnah hints at secrets of the Knights Radiant and the true cause of the war.
The result of over ten years of planning, writing, and world-building, The Way of Kings is but the opening movement of the Stormlight Archive, a bold masterpiece in the making.
Speak again the ancient oaths,
Life before death.
Strength before weakness.
Journey before Destination.
and return to men the Shards they once bore.
The Knights Radiant must stand again.
(Ends October 31)
Welcome to the week in review! Every Friday, we comb through the links and images we found and shared this week, and pull the very best for this post. Consider it concentrated genre goodness from all around the web.
- Have you seen the Game of Thrones special effects reel? It’s pretty incredible!
- Paste Magazine put together a list of twelve of the best fictional libraries. What are they missing? My first thought was of the library at Terry Pratchett’s Unseen University, with it’s fabulous librarian, Ook.
- There’s another great Mind Meld post over at SF Signal: Our Favorite Female Protagonists and Why They Rock.
- On our Facebook page, I asked for a confession, and made one of my own…what’s one book or series that you’ve always meant to read, but never have? Mine is Stranger in a Strange Land. Come share your book!
- Man, lists have sure been popular this week! Over on Flavorwire, they list 50 sci-fi/fantasy novels everyone should read. They’re missing quite a few, though of course that’s going to happen when you limit yourself to 50 books!
And, just to make Friday that much sweeter, here’s a list of sweepstakes and sales we have going on!
- Goodreads First Reads: Delia’s Shadow by Jaime Lee Moyer (Ends 8/21)
- Goodreads First Reads: The One-Eyed Man by L. E. Modesitt, Jr. (Ends 8/22)
- Goodreads Giveaway: Golden Dawn by Thomas M. Kostigen (Ends 8/22)
- Goodreads First Reads: Vicious by V. E. Schwab (Ends 8/27)
- Goodreads First Reads: The Incrementalists by Steven Brust and Skyler White (Ends 8/28)
- August Grab Bag Sweepstakes (Ends 8/31)
- eBook Sale: First Daughter, by Eric Van Lustbader, is on sale for $2.99 (Ends 9/6)
- eBook Sale: The Legions of Fire, by David Drake, is on sale for $2.99 (Ends 9/6)
- Goodreads First Reads: Prodigal Son by Debra Mullins (Ends 9/11)
- Goodreads First Reads: Fingal O’Reilly, Irish Doctor by Patrick Taylor (Ends 9/12)
- Goodreads Giveaway: The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson (9/13)
- Irish Country Sweepstakes (Ends 9/14)