Tor Books is heading to New York Comic-Con!
We hope to see many of you there. Stop by Booth #2223 to say hi or to participate in one of our many events and signings.
But for those of you who couldn’t make it out to New York, we wanted to offer you the chance to grab some of the same amazing swag and books that we’re promoting at #NYCC. To enter for the chance to win one of these three prize bundles, leave a comment on this post telling us one fabulous thing that you’ll be doing this week while you are #NotAtComicCon.
Here’s a look at the prize:
And here’s a list of what’s included in each prize bundle:
- Wheel of Time iPhone cover
- The Way of Kings quote magnets
- After the Golden Age by Carrie Vaughn
- Among Others by Jo Walton
- Antigoddess by Kendare Blake
- Article 5 by Kristen Simmons
- Attack of the Vampire Weenies by David Lubar
- The Clockwork Sky by Madeleine Rosca
- Cold City by F. Paul Wilson
- Dragon Age Asunder by David Gaider
- Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card
- The Eye of the World: The Graphic Novel: Vol One
- The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan
- Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson
- Girl Genius Omnibus Volume One by Phil Foglio and Kaja Foglio
- Halo: The Thursday War by Nancy Traviss
- Ironskin by Tina Connolly
- Johnny Hiro: The Skills to Pay the Bills by Fred Chao
- Old Man’s War by John Scalzi
- The Omen Machine by Terry Goodkind
- Paul of Dune by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson
- Range of Ghosts by Elizabeth Bear
- Three Parts Dead by Max Gladstone
- Vicious by V.E. Schwab
- The Waking Engine by David Edison
- The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson
- Wide Open by Deborah Coates
- Wild Cards I edited by George R. R. Martin
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A purchase does not improve your chances of winning. Sweepstakes open to legal residents of 50 United States, D.C., and Canada (excluding Quebec), who are 18 as of the date of entry. To enter, leave a comment below beginning at 10:00 AM Eastern Time (ET) Wednesday, October 10, 2013. Sweepstakes ends at 12:00 PM ET Monday, October 14, 2013. Void outside the United States and Canada and where prohibited by law. Please see full details and official rules here. Sponsor: Tom Doherty Associates, LLC, 175 Fifth Ave., New York, NY 10010.
Here’s the full review, from the July 8th issue:
Victor Vale and Eliot Cardale, both brilliant and driven, were friends and college roommates who figured out how to give themselves superpowers. Victor went to jail and Eli began working with the cops. But “villain” Victor is innocent of the charges against him, while “hero” Eli has been killing people whose powers he considers more “unnatural” than his own. When he targets Sydney, a 12-year-old girl who can raise the dead, he gets more trouble than he bargained for. Schwab’s characters feel vital and real, never reduced to simple archetypes; for example, Victor isn’t a particularly nice man, but he has enough conscience left to know that Eli needs to stopped. In a genre that tends toward the flippant or pretentious, this is a rare superhero novel as epic and gripping as any classic comic. Schwab’s tale of betrayal, self-hatred, and survival will resonate with superhero fans as well as readers who have never heard of Charles Xavier or Victor von Doom. Agent: Holly Root, Waxman Leavell Literary Agency. (Sept.)
Vicious will be published on September 24th.
Vicious by V. E. Schwab
A masterful tale of ambition, jealousy, desire, and superpowers.
Victor and Eli started out as college roommates—brilliant, arrogant, lonely boys who recognized the same sharpness and ambition in each other. In their senior year, a shared research interest in adrenaline, near-death experiences, and seemingly supernatural events reveals an intriguing possibility: that under the right conditions, someone could develop extraordinary abilities. But when their thesis moves from the academic to the experimental, things go horribly wrong.
Ten years later, Victor breaks out of prison, determined to catch up to his old friend (now foe), aided by a young girl whose reserved nature obscures a stunning ability. Meanwhile, Eli is on a mission to eradicate every other super-powered person that he can find — aside from his sidekick, an enigmatic woman with an unbreakable will. Armed with terrible power on both sides, driven by the memory of betrayal and loss, the archnemeses have set a course for revenge — but who will be left alive at the end?
In Vicious, V. E. Schwab brings to life a gritty comic-book-style world in vivid prose: a world where gaining superpowers doesn’t automatically lead to heroism, and a time when allegiances are called into question.
“A dynamic and original twist on what it means to be a hero and a villain. A killer from page one…highly recommended!”
—Jonathan Maberry, New York Times bestselling author of Marvel Universe vs The Avengers and Patient Zero
Vicious, by V. E. Schwab, releases September 24th!
Welcome to the week in review! Every Friday, we comb through the links and images we found and shared this week, and pull the very best for this post. Consider it concentrated genre goodness from all around the web.
- Have you seen the Game of Thrones special effects reel? It’s pretty incredible!
- Paste Magazine put together a list of twelve of the best fictional libraries. What are they missing? My first thought was of the library at Terry Pratchett’s Unseen University, with it’s fabulous librarian, Ook.
- There’s another great Mind Meld post over at SF Signal: Our Favorite Female Protagonists and Why They Rock.
- On our Facebook page, I asked for a confession, and made one of my own…what’s one book or series that you’ve always meant to read, but never have? Mine is Stranger in a Strange Land. Come share your book!
- Man, lists have sure been popular this week! Over on Flavorwire, they list 50 sci-fi/fantasy novels everyone should read. They’re missing quite a few, though of course that’s going to happen when you limit yourself to 50 books!
And, just to make Friday that much sweeter, here’s a list of sweepstakes and sales we have going on!
- Goodreads First Reads: Delia’s Shadow by Jaime Lee Moyer (Ends 8/21)
- Goodreads First Reads: The One-Eyed Man by L. E. Modesitt, Jr. (Ends 8/22)
- Goodreads Giveaway: Golden Dawn by Thomas M. Kostigen (Ends 8/22)
- Goodreads First Reads: Vicious by V. E. Schwab (Ends 8/27)
- Goodreads First Reads: The Incrementalists by Steven Brust and Skyler White (Ends 8/28)
- August Grab Bag Sweepstakes (Ends 8/31)
- eBook Sale: First Daughter, by Eric Van Lustbader, is on sale for $2.99 (Ends 9/6)
- eBook Sale: The Legions of Fire, by David Drake, is on sale for $2.99 (Ends 9/6)
- Goodreads First Reads: Prodigal Son by Debra Mullins (Ends 9/11)
- Goodreads First Reads: Fingal O’Reilly, Irish Doctor by Patrick Taylor (Ends 9/12)
- Goodreads Giveaway: The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson (9/13)
- Irish Country Sweepstakes (Ends 9/14)